Coconut Battery questions

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by davyvfr, Sep 3, 2012.

1. davyvfr macrumors regular

Hello,

I noticed under Coconut Battery that my capacity is only 5193 mAh and its at 90%. The age of the MacBook Pro shows 15 weeks with 18 load cycles. Is this normal? It seems a bit low.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It is perfectly normal if your battery health (maximum capacity) is more or less than 100%, even when brand new, or if it fluctuates up or down over time. For further details, read the CHECKING STATUS AND HEALTH section of the following link.

This should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions:

3. davyvfr thread starter macrumors regular

So what you are saying is that if iStat and Coconut Battery show 90% maximum capacity, it is normal? I would more or less expect 97% but 90% just seemed low.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It can vary widely, and will fluctuate up and down over time, with the general trend downward, since all batteries eventually die. If it fails to maintain at least 80% health to 1000 cycles, take it to Apple to have it checked for possible defect and free replacement, as long as you're covered by warranty or AppleCare. Read the Battery FAQ for details.

5. davyvfr thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you so much. Last question, I don't have Apple Care. So, if I took it to Genius right now, could they do a diagnostic to make sure its where it should be?

I have the default 1 year warranty and its still covered

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes, they won't charge to check it out.

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Unless you run the battery down some, it will hover around the 90s. Try running the battery down to around 60%, then let it recharge and I bet you will get closer to 100%.

8. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

If that will give you peace of mind then of course go for it but just as extra reinforcement - the capacity fluctuates and also applications that report battery capacity aren't necessarily going to be 100% accurate, in other words if you pull it up a week from now it could read 92% instead of 90% as an example.

9. davyvfr thread starter macrumors regular

I brought it at Fry's Electronics and the guy told me it was clearance which makes no sense. I got it for $999 and it makes me wonder if they sold it for a lower amount since its been sitting in their warehouse.

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I personally wouldn't worry about it unless it dips very close to 80%. Even then, some Apple stores may not want to look at it unless it's already below 80%.