Coconut Battery says age older than I've owned it!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lenb, Sep 24, 2009.

1. lenb macrumors member

Just downloaded Coconut Battery and it says my 15" mbp is 7 weeks old and I've only had it for 3 weeks! Does this mean that someone else had it before me and took it back? Although the box was sealed the OS was already loaded, all I had to do was run the snow leopard disc.

lenb

2. matthewscott661 macrumors 6502

matthewscott661

Well, consider that it was shipped from China and then spent some time in a warehouse, on a truck, and in an apple store.

3. mcmacmike macrumors member

You should be able to enter your mbp's serial number to get a more accurate age for your notebook.

4. puma1552 macrumors 601

These threads always make me laugh.

Your MBP is not fast food.

It was built in a factory, shipped to your country, shipped to a store where you bought it, then sat there til you bought it. Of course it's older than the amount of time you've had it.

5. lenb thread starter macrumors member

Entered the serial number and it still says 7 weeks. I assume then that the age is taken from manufacture rather than when bought/registered! I suppose that is the only way for coconut battery to get the information.

Ok perhaps it was a dumb question, thanks for your quick replies anyway!

lenb

6. cababah macrumors 68000

Your analogy does not stand. It is dependent on the type of fast food restaurant :D Some fast food places have the food prepped in other countries and then shipped where it waits on the shelf until someone buys it :eek:

7. lenb thread starter macrumors member

Sorry I asked!!!!!

You may know the answer quicker than I. It's answers in the above tone that puts people with legitimate questions off from using these forums!!!!!!

8. marioman38 macrumors 6502a

marioman38

I don't see how he was being rude. Calm down, he is correct.

9. tenderidol macrumors regular

tenderidol

It depends on the place you bought. I got mine from a university bookstore during a special promotion (extra $$$ off from Apple Academic Pricing) and they were flying off the shelves. Coconut battery reports 7 weeks and I owned the computer for 6 weeks and a half :D

10. lenb thread starter macrumors member

I asked what I thought was a legitimate question. I also agree that he is probably right with his answer. Starting his answer with sarcasm "these threads always make me laugh" is what ruins it. It didn't need that bit!!!

11. lenb thread starter macrumors member

As you can see there are some people with decent and helpful replies! Thanks tenderidol!

12. puma1552 macrumors 601

Sorry if I sounded rude, that was not my intention, but a little common sense does go a long way. :)

13. ljx718 macrumors 6502

can you stop using exclamation marks to end all your sentences?

14. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

You should stick to the mac basics area maybe.

15. icedd macrumors 6502

icedd

This.

16. Ace R. macrumors member

Thats exactly what I thought when I checked mine but it still made me scratch my head. Ive had my MBP a little over 2 weeks... Coconut says its 2 months old. Guess this machine sat for a long time.. but I dont care cuz its mine now! :cool:

17. Bigabouli macrumors member

Agreed - the machine is the same whether it was built a week or a month ago, it hasn't been used anyway.

18. RedRiver macrumors newbie

Guys
    I've been a Mac user since 1997, using Quadra's, 7500's, Blue and White's, G3 Powerbook (Kanga) Windtunnel Mirror Doors etc etc and I got confused over my Coconut reading on my MacBook Pro too.

Give the fella a break, we want to encourage all new Mac users otherwise they'll end up going to one of those Windows 7 parties instead:)

19. lenb thread starter macrumors member

Don't we all sometimes ask a 'silly' question? I am fine with it but I just wondered at the time. Now I realise that it refers to build date rather than 'out of box' date, I am ok with it.
    There are obviously those on here who know an awful lot more about their mac's than me (that's why we post here in the 1st place) but perhaps if they phrased their answers a little better it would help less knowledgeable people such as myself rather than drive us away.
    "you should stick to the mac basics area" is perhaps another wrongly phrased answer.

Thanks again to those with helpful replies, and apology accepted.

I also apologise for being dim! :)
    (hope 1 exclamation mark is ok :)

20. Rampant.A.I. macrumors 6502a

Can you stop using question marks to end all yours? :D

21. bcburrows macrumors 6502

bcburrows

mine arrived two weeks old - fair enough

I presume you bought a stock product and not a custom one, so yeah they are often made some time before - mine was built on my birthday.....

22. nicknyhk macrumors newbie

i know this thread is kinda old but ur 2 weeks are understandable...mine has a 4 MONTH delay. this is shocking!