Coconut Oil under Retina display

Colby Jack

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 30, 2020
Washington, DC
Hello,

Looking for some advice here -My 15" 2014 MacBook Pro was in a book bag with a spray solution of coconut oil. Unfortunately, the coconut oil was sprayed inside the bag and got underneath the Retina display. Your first reaction is to tell me that the MacBook can't be repaired or saved, etc etc etc, however this took place a year ago. My MacBook is doing great and she's as beautiful as ever.

I am just wondering if there is a way to somehow get the leopard spray effect that is visible when light colors are on the screen. Does anyone have any ideas on what I can do? It does not effect usability in any way, I just want to see if I can get her back to 100% condition. I figure the display must not be airtight since the oil was able to infiltrate the display? I welcome any ideas. Thank you for your time.

Grohowiak

macrumors 6502
Nov 14, 2012
Add some rum and pineapples and you will have an Mac Piña Colada Pro. I'm sure it will look even better after ;)

Jokes aside, only reasonable thing you can do is to let somebody clean it. The rainbow you see is actual oil that will never evaporate.

JPack

macrumors 603
Mar 27, 2017
Sure, if you have the time and experience. You can use a heat gun to carefully remove the cover glass and clean under it.

If you spilled oil, it's non-conductive and won't negatively affect the longevity of the display. Just leave it as-is. If you have to ask how to fix it, you're probably at high risk of damaging it during the teardown.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.