Cod 4 on powerbook?

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by MattMK45, Jun 11, 2009.

1. MattMK45 macrumors regular

Hi,
    I'm hoping to buy VM ware fusion 2 for my mac so I can use my windows system through my mac for many reasons and one is gaming. Obviously there is no chance you could get a pb to play COD of the apple version. I was looking on ebay to see what pc games I could get once I bought Fusion.

I saw cod4 and thought I might as well see the requirements (heavily doubting that it'd work) to my suprise it looked promising, here are the requirements they put down and my specs below that. If you know if it will play and of course play well then could you reply to this thread, Cheers.

Requirements:

If you have a T&L capable video card with at least 32 MB of video RAM then you need at least:
    800 MHz processor or better
    256 MB RAM for Windows XP/ME/98 or 2000
    At least 3.5 GB of hard drive space
    If you have a non-T&L capable video card (an Intel Extreme Graphics or a Radeon 7000/VE Series) then you need at least:
    2.0 GHz processor or better
    256 MB RAM for Windows XP/ME/98 or 2000
    At least 3.5 GB of hard drive space
    Supported video cards:
    ATI Radeon series (7000 or better): Radeon 7000/VE series (non-T&L requires 2.0 GHz processor); 7200, 7500; 8500, All-In-Wonder 8500; 9000, 9200, 9500, 9600, 9700, 9800; X300, X600, X800
    NVIDIA Quadro series: Quadro, Quadro2, Quadro4
    NVIDIA Geforce series (GeForce2 and better): GeForce2; GeForce3, 3 Ti; GeForce4, 4Ti, MX 420, 440; GeForce FX 5200, 5600, 5700, 5800, 5900, 5950; GeForce 6600, 6800
    Intel Extreme Graphics (non-T&L requires 2.0 GHz processor): 82845, 82865, 82915

My specs:

1ghz G4
    512mb ram
    64vram
    60 GB hd (If at all relevant)

I think it looks promising, whether the game will run well I don't know but if it will work then I'll certainly buy it and post a video on youtube and give you guys the url. The only thing I'm worried about is this T&L video card.

Can't wait to hear from you and if you could, could you reccomend me some games that would work through this system.

Cheers, Matt

2. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

If your PowerBook can't run the Mac version, it definitely won't run the Windows version. Windows is very slow when emulated on PPC.

3. MattMK45 thread starter macrumors regular

really? oh thats much of a letdown, do you reckon any games will run through this partition?

4. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Fusion requires an Intel processor. If you have a Powerbook, then you have a PPC processor and Fusion won't run.

Additionally, it's VERY unlikely that either Fusion or Parallels will play any modern games that require hardcore GPU. So I'm guessing Fusion wouldn't run COD4 even if you had an Intel Mac.

Having a PPC, you're stuck with games that were released, for the Mac, in the early 2000s. Up to maybe 2004?

5. MattMK45 thread starter macrumors regular

damn and blast (as Clarkson would say) what a tonne of bad news. I'm pretty sure that fusion did fit my requirments when I first saw it in the apple store.

6. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Windows XP is near unusable just running a web browser on my 1.3 GHz iBook . I doubt it would fare any better on your Powerbook, so it's not likely. If you installed Windows 98 you might be able to play games from that era... but that's about it.

If you want to run Windows anyway, Virtual PC 7 is what I use and I guess it works OK for what I need it do to. (When I'm too lazy to go boot up my PC to check if something works in Windows.)

7. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Not if you have a PPC. Sorry! And in case you run across something called VirtualPC.. don't waste your time.

You should also note that Fusion and Parallels are emulating video only. Just about no games that require DirectX9 and/or 3D rendering are going to play too well (if at all) through them.

8. NeverhadaPC macrumors 6502

NeverhadaPC

I have the same computer as you and am stuck playing Diablo 2 and Civilization 3 (few nations)... anything else will be on my BRAND NEW MBP:D! Anyways...

Emulation with the G4 is not for games, in fact it sucks for most things that require graphics or processing speed. So no games for me. I would not recommend it.

9. MattMK45 thread starter macrumors regular

oh k kinda regreting getting a ppc now shoulda saved for an intel sob:(

10. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Eh, you get used to it after a while. :p I actually went from one Intel machine to two PPC machines. Not exactly sure why, but it's not so bad. ;)

11. MattMK45 thread starter macrumors regular

it's just with the breaking release of snow leopard, boot camp and now intel only apps

12. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Well, PPC was abandoned "quite some time ago"... at least by computer standards. Dang, 3 years is not a long time.

13. nickarmadillo macrumors regular

:confused: I hope you didn't buy the game already. I'm sorry but there is no way you could play COD4 on your powerbook for the following reasons:
    *The COD4 Mac version is Intel only
    *Parallels is Intel only
    *Virtual PC is agonizingly slow and you would be lucky if you could get games from a decade ago to play on it
    *Your Powerbook is far too out of date to play COD4 (My 17" 2.33Ghz Macbook Pro with a 256mb x1600, which is many times faster, can only play COD4 on the lowest settings at a low resolution)
    *Those don't look anything like the COD4 system requirements. COD1 perhaps?

I suggest Starcraft or Age of Empires II for Mac. Those might be more playable.