COD 5/VMware problem with 17" UMBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Egil, Mar 6, 2009.

1. Egil macrumors newbie

So I've been trying to play COD 5 in Windows Vista x64 through a dual boot, but every time it starts to launch, I get a "DirectX has encountered an unrecoverable error" message. I've already downloaded all the latest drivers and DirectX updates, so the problem is apparently that the VMware SVGA II graphics card is enabled even when I'm using boot camp to access Vista. Any idea how I might resolve this? Thanks

2. Egil thread starter macrumors newbie

3. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

The VMWare SVGA II is not enabled during native boot. If it is, nothing will appear on screen.

Have you tried uninstalling COD5 and reinstalling it.

If you're trying to play COD5 via VMWare, it is not possible.

4. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Haha your trying to use a Virtual Machine to play a game like COD 5? Even if it does work your going to get terrible graphics performance and low frame rates. Just install Windows using Bootcamp.

5. winninganthem macrumors 6502a

winninganthem

Lmao, I tried running Half Life 2 via VMWare and it was sooooo laggy it was unplayable. I can't even imagine how horrible COD would fare :p

6. iaymnu macrumors 6502

Only game that I got working VMware was Ragnarok :eek:Online

7. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

Civilization 4 works.
    CS Source works with surprising results too.
    Sins of a Solar Empire works.
    Google Earth works (only in OpenGL)

8. Egil thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies. The problem is that the game won't run at all in dual boot. Weirdly, running through VMware, I get sound, but no video. However, with the dual boot, I get nothing at all. I've been having problems with Vista in a few ways so far; maybe it's just because I'm missing the obvious, but I can't connect to the internet through Vista (doesn't recognize wireless networks or my ethernet cable) nor can I find any evidence in Vista that there's an Nvidia graphics card. Again, maybe I'm missing the obvious, but this is kind of torturous. I bought COD 5 a month before I got my MBP, and now I can't play it:( Activision is no help because they think I'm running the game through VMware, even though I'm not; my dxdiag shows no proof of an Nvidia card.

Please help:confused:

EDIT: Yes, I did reinstall COD to no effect

9. pyromaniaque macrumors 6502

In boot camp, aren't there drivers that you're supposed to install to get everything to work?

10. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Exactly, he probably didnt install the bootcamp drivers from the OS X install DVD that comes with every Mac. If you actually bothered to do that then you would see everything runs fine.

11. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

Does this user even have a 2nd partition dedicated to Vista? Or is this a "Virtual" environment?

In any case, COD5 works, you're just using a wrong method.

12. Egil thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I reinstalled the OS X DVD, reinstalled windows through boot camp, still not seeing Nvidia 9600 in dxdiag, what more is there to do??!

"Does this user even have a 2nd partition dedicated to Vista? Or is this a "Virtual" environment?

In any case, COD5 works, you're just using a wrong method."

As I said above, I'm using boot camp. It is NOT a virtual environment. I realize that COD5 works; my question is WHAT MY "WRONG METHOD" IS

13. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

Did you install the drivers? I've reinstalled windows and osx many times and i never see a problem such as yours.