COD: Black Ops frame rate issues

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by HBOC, Mar 27, 2011.

1. HBOC macrumors 68020

Ok, caved in and bought Black Ops for the PC. The problem I have is I believe is a frame rate issue. The game runs fine, except for some minor "lagging", but i am sure it is a frame rate issue. In the graphics settings, for some reason I cannot change the frame rate, it is stuck on 60hz (I just wanted to test this). I have no external monitor to test my theory that it is a monitor limited issue.

I just got the Hi-res screen yesterday installed by Apple, and even now it won't let me change the frame rate (to like 50hz or whatnot). It is not unplayable by any means, but it isn't as silky smooth as my XBOX version was or as smooth as my buddies running on his PC (although his PC is over a year old). He is able to change his frame rate, which is why I think it is a "monitor" based issue. I need to get a mini port to HDMI cable to hook it up to my TV.

Any ideas?

2. xxjudgmentxx macrumors member

60Hz is the SCREEN refresh rate, not the in game FPS. When you have Vsync enabled the game is forced to output graphics as near to your set screen refresh rate (hint: 99% of consumer LCDs are 60Hz, some are 75) in order to reduce "tearing" effects. The non-smoothness or lagginess in game is probably due to your chosen graphics settings, take off Vsync and try that or lower the level of the shader/lighting settings. I have a 2011 17" MBP and Black Ops is playable but not on high settings and lags when there is a 3-4 man firefight onscreen.

3. xxjudgmentxx macrumors member

Not to mention the game will never run as smooth as it does on Xbox/PS3 or compared to your buddy's gaming PC (the Xbox/PS3 versions typically run at 576p with a boatload of Anti-aliasing to make it look nice even though it says "1080p" so if you run the game at 576x1280 you may get comparable "smoothness").

4. HBOC thread starter macrumors 68020

thanks for the advice, I will find out what vsync is and also how to turn it off:).

Someone with a 17" MBP 2.3 (or 2.2) posted a video on youtube running Bops and it was fine and smooth...

5. edifyingGerbil macrumors regular

In the video information do they say whether they've overclocked the GPU or not?

Someone posted a vid of Dragon Age II on youtube, played on his 2.2 MBP and it looks gorgeous, you can count the drops of blood for instance, but he does say he's tweaked things a bit using a fan controlling app and overclocking his GPU.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dev7DunGVrA

6. Steve-Jobs macrumors 6502

Steve-Jobs

same problem here.Game works fine but the lagging is really annoying. Tried to find out how that vsync can be changed. What do you think the settings should be while playing Black Ops?

Thanks

7. HBOC thread starter macrumors 68020

well I found that ATI has something called CCC, or catalyst control center. They have a download on their website and I found a step by step tutorial but the problem is that I cannot get CCC to install. This is on the Windows side of things.

I haven't overclocked anything. I don't know how, lol. I just want to get BO to be smoother. There are no settings to change the VSYNC in BlackOps (settings in the menu).

My buddy didn't change any settings on his computer and he could change the refresh rate. I wish I had a miniport>HDMI so I could hook up my TV and see if it is just the screen...

I saw the cinebench or whatnot of Crysis, and in the menus it has the ability to toggle Vsync....

8. HBOC thread starter macrumors 68020

my buddy had everything default, but changed it to 50hz.

9. HBOC thread starter macrumors 68020

thanks for the link, downloading right now.

Here is a great site HERE

I am hoping I can get this to work right

10. HBOC thread starter macrumors 68020

edifyingGerbil, you are an EFFINg lifesaver!! That one works! My suspicions I think are correct, and I can NOT change the refresh rate in the options in CCC. I don't know why, but it is set to auto... I will continue to research this...

11. edifyingGerbil macrumors regular

lol just trying to be useful, a way to give back to the community.

I think it's weird that AMD has two different CCCs, one for W7 on bootcamp/mac and another for "regular" installations of W7.

Maybe the refresh rate is locked by Apple or something? I'm afraid I can't help any further but good luck in your quest!

12. HBOC thread starter macrumors 68020

Seriously, thanks a ton. I would have probably NEVER thought to think to google Bootcamp CCC, or something like that. I even effed up and uninstalled the ATI CCC i down loaded for Win7, and it uninstalled the bootcamp drivers, so I was getting "DirectX encountered a critical error" or whatever the message was... installed the bootcamp drivers again, and all is good.

But yes, the refresh rate is locked in at 60HZ. So I am pretty positive that an external will remedy my "problem". Like I said, the game is not unplayable by any stretch of the imagination, just is sorta annoying.

I am taking a few shots of rum, and that will fix the problem for tonight, lol.

13. edifyingGerbil macrumors regular

Dark rum I hope? My particular poison, although not tonight, is straight JD with no ice. I love bourbon, reminds me of home.

BTW, I was meaning to ask... Did you have your high resolution screen installed *after* you had already bought your MBP? I'm thinking of getting my local Apple Store to replace my screen with a high res one, I'm in two minds about it...

14. Steve-Jobs macrumors 6502

Steve-Jobs

Thanks for the advice but the problem is I'm not running Boot camp, I'm using Wrapper of the Black Ops for Mac.

15. HBOC thread starter macrumors 68020

Sailor Jerry's :)

Yes, I had the screen replaced after I bought. I thought Apple would just order me a new machine (probably cheaper), but they ordered a new screen. The screen invoice was $453 + $39 labor, but I didn't pay it. I am LOVING the new screen!

16. Dr McKay macrumors 68040

Dr McKay

The most demanding features will be Anti-Aliasing and shadows, if you can turn these down/off, it will free up a lot of demand on your system.