COD Black Ops graphically inferior well here is why...

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by waloshin, Nov 11, 2010.

1. waloshin macrumors 68040

waloshin

Yes I agree that Modern Warfare 2 does have better graphics over Modern Warfare, but you got to really think about this.

Black Ops adds:

- Zombie Mode
    - Better Campaign with more dialoge.
    - Larger online Maps

I have installed both games to my Xbox 360, Modern Warfare takes up 6.7 gigabytes while Black Ops takes up 6.8 gigabytes, so Black Ops only uses 100 megabytes more for it's Zombie Mode ,better dialoge throughout the campaign and larger online maps.

Adding features like Zombie Mode, Wager Matches and a better campaign with more dialogue just takes up more room where graphics could have been so the reason why Modern Warfare 2 had better graphics as they had a lot more room on the disc for the graphics.

So therefore I demand that MW3 and COD games after that be released on two discs for the Xbox 360, a disc for Campaign, and a disc for Multiplayer.

2. Sambo110 macrumors 68000

But isn't a 360 disc close to 10 gigs big? Meaning that they should have heaps more room for better graphics.

3. waloshin thread starter macrumors 68040

waloshin

Nope the 360 uses dual layer dvds with a maximum size of 6.9 gbs.

4. stephende88 macrumors newbie

360s use DVD+R DL discs which are between 8.5-8.7 GB per disc

5. SevenInchScrew macrumors 6502a

SevenInchScrew

Regardless of the standard size of a blank disc, the actual, usable space for 360 games is 6.9GB.

6. Sambo110 macrumors 68000

Oh, fair enough. If only the 360 used something like Blu Ray, then it might not be holding back games content/quality as much ;)

7. Kieranic, Nov 19, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2010

Kieranic Guest

Mind you, PlayStation 3 can have, what? 8 times the space we have and their game still looks the same.

If I remember correctly Black Ops uses something called "streaming", where objects far away don't look great at all and are blurred, but when you move closer to them, they will quickly get more detail on them.

One example of this is when you begin a match and pick a class within a second or two. As you stand there waiting for the 10-second countdown, you'll notice the details on your gun improve drastically. For some reason, the streaming in Black Ops seems slower than it did in MW2 so that's probably why some people are saying the graphics just aren't as good.

8. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

The real reason Black Ops doesn't look as good as it should is a simple one. Call of Duty has two developers, and two game engines. Black Ops is based off a modified World at War engine, and hence is basically a 2008 game with a few upgrades (streaming amongst others). Modern Warfare on the other hand uses a more modern engine, and hence gives better visuals.

What really needs to happen is that Treyarch actually refresh their engine and not just bolt new bits on to an old one.

9. hazza.jockel macrumors 6502

I don't know too much about this stuff but I'm sure the reason the graphics of Black Ops < MW2 is not because of disc space. The developers know what they are doing and would have found a work around such as releasing two disc as you say rather then releasing a sub-par (graphic wise) game.

As Kieranic said the PS3 versions graphics are exactly the same as the 360's despite the fact they could fit more stuff on to their discs.

10. Sambo110 macrumors 68000

But chances are the Call of Duty games on PS3 are just 360 ports, so they wouldn't have spent time improving the PS3 version, especially as then all the 360 users would probably bitch about it, even though the 360 version often looks better.

11. RedburnIV macrumors regular

RedburnIV

Am I the only one who think the online maps are kind of small in Black Ops?? Nuketown has to be one of the smallest in a COD game.

12. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

Who cares? If you like the game, play it. If not, don't.

13. takao macrumors 68040

takao

not only in a COD game i suppose .. seriously though a lot of maps are really small and a few of them are not so great (as stated in another thread)

my favourite by all means so far is Summit and with some distance Hanoi and the Radiation level

worst of the worst: Jungle

14. hazza.jockel macrumors 6502

Nuke town is such a frustrating map to play, particularly in free for all. You have to constantly watch your back because it doesn't take long for someone to spawn behind you. In teams its a bit better because your team is usually stopping the enemy spawning behind you. BUT more then once i have been shot down by 3 or more people who just spawned right near me. grrrrrrrrr

15. SevenInchScrew macrumors 6502a

SevenInchScrew

The way I look at it, on Nuketown, all bets are off and anything goes. I either employ one of two "strategies" when playing it...

1 - Run and gun. Don't stop moving forward, because someone will just shoot you in the back. Stick to the outer rim of the map, skipping the indoors areas.

or

2 - Camp like crazy. Go in a house, up in the bedroom, claymore at the door, and pick off anyone outside the window you see.

As for the rest of the maps, I really like Hanoi, Villa and WMD. I'm not sure why, but I seem to play well on all of them, and I like their visual styles. But really, aside from the weirdness of Nuketown, most of the maps are fine by me. Even Jungle, which I sort of like. The maps are pretty good, it is just the currently broken spawn system that messes them up.

16. RedburnIV macrumors regular

RedburnIV

Spawn killing was never a problem until nuketown. As soon as you spawn, you're dead, but I'd rather play nuketown instead of jungle. I really don't like that map. Also, for Nuketown, the nubtub works wonders :)

17. hazza.jockel macrumors 6502

I typically go inside so i have something to put my back against. Although i don't stay inside for too long. Going up the outside stairs is pretty much suicide though.

Most of the other maps I like, including jungle. Not really a fan of Villa, not because its poorly designed or spawn are screwed up but because it doesn't suit my style of play. I prefer close up to medium range where Villa is tends to have a lot of longer range and sniping.

If anyone wants play or have a wager match hit me up, maybe we could even make a Macrumors clan. GT: HazzaHJ

18. RedburnIV macrumors regular

RedburnIV

What are you guys playing on? PS3 or Xbox?? I've got xbox over here.

19. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

360 for me.

Finally, at level 16 I got into Nuketown on Domination. It was fun. Crazy, 46 deaths fun. It was pretty easy when the team is on the same page. You need about 3 guys sticking together to capture points quickly, and second chance (why didn't they lave it as Last Stand?) so even if you die, you might squeek off another few seconds on the ground before they kill you.

Tomahawk is still the best thing ever.