COD4 Disk Image

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by Anomalus, Jun 26, 2009.

1. Anomalus macrumors newbie

Anomalus

Please help:

I've seen it done before with other games on Macs only and now I ask, how do you copy the disk image of a game (specifically Call Of Duty 4) so that it does not require the disk to play.

It is a file that gives the Mac the impression that the disk is inserted, even though it is not.

Any help appreciated.

2. TheShinyMac macrumors 6502a

TheShinyMac

I think that you open up disk utility and select the dvd drive or dvd probably the dvd and then select create new image or something like that but I do wish that you only use that so you dont need the cd because if you give the cd to someone else or give others that image your pirating and thats just bad:eek:

3. Anomalus thread starter macrumors newbie

Anomalus

Either i'm trying the wrong thing, or it doesn't work.

I tried making an alias, but it does not work when the disk is out.

I also tried duplicating, but it only re-installs the game.

How do i open Disk Utility?

PS: don't worry none of my friends have a Mac. I just find it annoying when i have to search through all my DVDs.

4. TheShinyMac macrumors 6502a

TheShinyMac

A alias is basically a shortcut to the source aka the dvd so if it isnt in there it wont work. To open disk utility
    1.Spotlight-type disk utility
    2.Then hit enter
    3.BAM:D your in!
    4.select the dvd then hit new image and save it to a folder on your desktop incase something screws up and you get a billion folders on your desktop, happened to me once:eek:

5. Anomalus thread starter macrumors newbie

Anomalus

Doesn't work.

"Please insert COD4 Disk then retry."
    :(

6. Anomalus thread starter macrumors newbie

Anomalus

7. txa1265 macrumors 6502a

txa1265

I don't know if there is an easy answer outside of a 'crack', which is something that pirates create in order to break games and distribute them illegally.

Many games look beyond just an image to make sure that the physical DVD drive enumerated in the system profile has the correct DVD in it, and simply mounting an image of that disk won't do it.

It is unfortunate that no-DVD stuff is so closely tied to pirates ... I recall the original Jedi Knight game had instructions for running with no CD, but for the expansion Mysteries of the Sith, to get it running on my sub-notebook (i.e. no CD drive) I had to get a crack ...

8. Anomalus thread starter macrumors newbie

Anomalus

I would rather not use cracks, as they are in violation of the EULA and Copyright Laws.

Looks like I'll have to get used to searching through tens of DVDs from now on.