COD4 - Late again

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by pcypert, Apr 10, 2008.

1. pcypert macrumors 6502

Hey all,
    COD4. Can see why some consider it a GoY.

Last 3 hours of Mass Effect...overrated to me. They're like any level in COD4.

That to me is the only major weakness of this game. It's too intense all the time. Despite the one sniping level and (thankfully) one car level and shock and awe it's all pretty much the same intensity level...which if you're doing a straight run through gets a bit much.

Barely used some of the alternate elements such as night vision, etc. Could have done a lot more.

I'm not playing this online (don't have time to sink into it to be at any kind of level where I wouldn't just be fragged every 5 seconds) so maybe I'm missing a bunch.

Would definitely say it's a rent only if you're not heavy into online play. Pretty short, though not much more so than Mass Effect (skipping side quests). Good game and a nice installment for the series. Seems 4th installments seem to bring nice changes. Can't wait for HL4 :)

Some great moments of gameplay though. The first time through the filed on the sniping level is pretty adrenaline filled.

Graphics are good, not the best I've seen on the 360 but a cut above.

Ending song is actually worse than Mass Effects.

Well designed and thought out game all in all. Solid for what it is. Not innovative, but plenty fun.

Paul

2. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

much like Halo, CoD4 shines in online. The leveling system, challenges and unlockables give it that drive to keep playing. You're missing a HUGE chunk of it's appeal, though the single player is still pretty fun

3. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

He seems to be missing a huge chunk of many games' appeal. He keeps buying games that aren't really his style. ;)

That said, I loved the campaign of Call of Duty 4, and multiplayer is a blast as well.

4. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

The online in COD4 is the most addictive online I have ever played. There is nothing like seeing that "+10" popping up on the screen when you kill someone or accomplish a challenge.

Not only to the challenges make the online have great replay, it makes me try every gun and option because there are acheivements for getting so many kills and headshots with each weapon.

5. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Absolutely. I have invested wayyyy more time in multiplayer than the campaign (sure, I beat the campagin 3 times, including on veteran) but nothing comes close to the multiplayer experience. The game simply cannot be judged without having invested at least 10 hours into multiplayer...but we all know it will be more than 10 hours! :D

6. kg9ov macrumors member

10hrs? I'm almost at 10 days and still can't put the damn controller down!

7. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Yup, for the first few weeks I played it I racked up a (lowly) 2 and a half days. But that was since I was travelling a lot, as I am now, and therefore haven't been able to play for several months. But my friend, for example, had owned the game for one week and had 3 days of playing time! Think about it.

8. pcypert thread starter macrumors 6502

That's just it. I used to love playing these games online. The last FPS I really played online was Half Life though. People got too good. They put too much time into them and if you're more causal like me it's just not fun anymore. I'm the one giving people the achievement for headshot kills :)

Just wanted to give a review for folks who don't burn money on Live and don't play it online. I know it's going to be better online, but just can't do it.... plus I think my connection has something to do with it as well, Not getting quick speeds from Thailand and lag in the rooms a bunch in all games online.

Paul

9. simontarr macrumors 6502

simontarr

I agree with you. I blasted my way through the campaign and it was brilliant, but I couldn't be bothered to invest the time online to get all the good upgrades etc so I just ended up getting killed all the time. Takes away the fun really! So I traded it in.

10. pcypert thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah,
    Also, if a game includes something it's fair to rank it on that. They invest time in creating the single player. They could just do a Quake Arena if they just mean things to go online. Both need to have value if both are included.

I also think it's fair to give Nintendo games crap for having crap online...if you include something it should be there for a reason... and be quality.

Paul