COD4 - linksys router disconnects?

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by danish22, Jun 28, 2009.

1. danish22 macrumors newbie

I purchased call of duty 4 [the mac version] to run on my early 2008 white model MacBook. {2.1 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM} the game runs *okay* with the highest graphics settings, (exluding anti-aliasing, and depth of feild-since those two go to crap on the mac version)

I have found two, pretty major problems with the game so far...

First, in single or multiplayer, the game runs great, until somebody besides me uses an automatic weapon, the ones where it shows the light of the bullets coming out, then it starts to freeze up, but after i kill them and they stop shooting, its back to normal.

Second, this is the one i care more about, I have a Linksys WRT160N wireless router which I play cod4 on from my bedroom. Idk if the problem is with my mac, cod4, or the router, but everytime i try to join a game in mutiplayer, it times out on the connection, then I quit cod4 and check my airport, which is down to 3 bars instead of the normal 4, also I have no LAN connection, and no WAN connection, yet I check the avaliable wireless spots and it is still there. When this happens every device connected to the router looses part of the signal and all bandwidth andywhere. Also you lose the ability to connect to it, i get an error, and this only happens with cod4.

From what I've seen on google, it looks like cod4 does this a lot with PS3 and Xbox but i don't see anything about pc version, say nothing of the mac version.

Has anyone had this problem? Am I missing something?

2. windywoo macrumors 6502a

windywoo

The first problem I believe is due to dynamic lighting. An auto's flash will play havoc with your graphics. Set the number of dynamic lights to 0 and see if that helps.

Second I don't know what to say. The high number of connections that COD4 is making is overloading your router and causing it to reboot. I've had the same problem on some crappy routers. You can either buy a new router or take a risk and install dd-wrt. Its an alternative firmware that might make the router more stable and will give you more features. The install is not too complicated usually, but that depends on your model. Search their site for instructions. The risk is, if you do it wrong you can ruin your router, but this is rare.

3. danish22 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply-

I can't test it now but I think you're right on the first one.

On the second I was hopeing for some small setting switch on either mac or router, I tryed to install DD-wrt on my old router linksys wrt54g, but bricked it in the upload, and I suppose I'm full of problems...
    1. Ddwrt not made for wrt160n v2 I believe
    2. I'm still working on getting my Ethernet to work right on my mac... :(
    (need wired con. To upgrade firmware...)

4. sven- macrumors member

I find this hard to believe. Your MacBook has the X3100 Intel chipset for graphics and believe me, its worthless for games. Even the 9400M, which is a LOT faster, isn't capable of running Cod4 on highest settings (excluding AA and depth of field).

Furthermore, Integrated graphics chips aren't even officially supported.
    So you know.