Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

machspeed5

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 11, 2008
I can swear I used to play this game at much higher rez/quality. I remember playing at 1280x720 with all settings maxed out (no AA) and averaging somewhere between 20-30 fps in multiplayer. It was very playable.

I have an early 2008 MBP 2.5GHz/4GB RAM/8600M GT 512MB and I've been scratching my head for the last few days because I am getting awful FPS out of COD4 under boot camp and I can't figure it out!

I'm playing at 640x480 with all settings OFF (no AA) or LOW and I'm getting about 15 fps average single or multiplayer. Its driving me nuts.

I was so annoyed/disgusted I formatted my boot camp partition and reinstalled a fresh copy of Win XP SP3...only to get identical sub-par results....now I've formatted again, and did a fresh install of Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit and this performance out of my 8600 continues to irritate/baffle me. No difference!

Is there anyone else out there that plays this on an 8600M GT? What settings do you use and how does it run?

I'm utterly confused and baffled.

machspeed5

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 11, 2008
any ideas? was there a like a firmware update for the 8600M GT ever? maybe to make it run less hot due to the manufacturing defect? i just can't explain this awful performance. :(

machspeed5

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 11, 2008
yea i tried both the boot camp 3.0 drivers from (snow leopard) and the latest nvidia drivers (currently 186.81) from their site. the latest nvidia improved performance noticeably (estimate 5fps) but its still far far from how it used to run.

ZManChu

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2007
Florida
I can swear I used to play this game at much higher rez/quality. I remember playing at 1280x720 with all settings maxed out (no AA) and averaging somewhere between 20-30 fps in multiplayer. It was very playable.

I have an early 2008 MBP 2.5GHz/4GB RAM/8600M GT 512MB and I've been scratching my head for the last few days because I am getting awful FPS out of COD4 under boot camp and I can't figure it out!

I'm playing at 640x480 with all settings OFF (no AA) or LOW and I'm getting about 15 fps average single or multiplayer. Its driving me nuts.

I was so annoyed/disgusted I formatted my boot camp partition and reinstalled a fresh copy of Win XP SP3...only to get identical sub-par results....now I've formatted again, and did a fresh install of Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit and this performance out of my 8600 continues to irritate/baffle me. No difference!

Is there anyone else out there that plays this on an 8600M GT? What settings do you use and how does it run?

I'm utterly confused and baffled.

hello! I have the exact same laptop and cod runs perfectly under boot camp. I am running windows xp sp3 using all the default boot camp drivers. I have the res set to 1280x800 with EVERYTHING set to off and it flies. Make sure the anti-aliasing is set to off. Thats the #1 item that slows everything down.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.