COD4 Poor Performance On OS X

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by pdechavez, Dec 15, 2008.

1. pdechavez macrumors regular

I've got the new unibody macbook pro running at
    -2.53ghz
    -512mb vram 9600GT
    -4GB Ram

And I have started playing COD4 on Mac OS X Leopard 10.5.5 and performance was just under 30fps, very annoying, better to play on the xbox360. When I watched this video of an older macbook pro:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mp9i986jO4I

I was sooo pissed off coz he got an average of 48fps. He is, however, running bootcamp. So my question is, does COD4 run better on windows? Ive got a better machine with faster FSB, faster memory and more ram on my videocard. why does his MBP perform better?

Thank you to all who helps me on this issue!

2. pwn247 macrumors 6502

pwn247

The only reason I could see low performance on your system is a) your settings are too high or b) the Windows filesystem emulator required to run the game is... well... just plain bad.

So try turning down your settings. The 9400M is just that- 'M' means 'Mobile' and isn't necessarily designed for high performance.

And COD4 wasn't built for OS X- it was built for Windows. Which means OS X has to use an emulator to make the game think it's running on Windows. The emulator isn't perfect and, of course, is going to show significant performance loss as compared to playing the game on a true Windows file system.

3. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Apart from Theme Hospital (which I play using CrossOver anyway), I don't play any games on Mac, they're all cheap tacky windows cider ports. Install XP on bootcamp and enjoy proper gaming, just remember to install smcFanControl and jack the fans up a bit before you boot into XP.

4. Rodus macrumors 6502a

Rodus

COD4 is a native port, not a Ciderized version so there is no emulation going on. Try turning the graphics down, it runs fine on my X1600 with lower settings.

5. Akzel macrumors regular

I know it might sound dumb, but are you sure you're using the 9600 and not the 9400? Go to System Preferences > Energy Saver and check if it's marked as "Higher Performance". If the option marked is to prioritize battery energy it's just using the 9400, and that would explain the poor gaming performance.

6. alkar macrumors regular

just disable antialiasing (FSAA). This makes the game unplayable because Aspyr is too lazy to make a proper port.

7. iOrlando macrumors 68000

i run cod4 on new alum macbook and it works fine...so its not a mac issue as long as you have the new ones. I didnt change any settings..so maybe try putting it back to where it was before?