Coda 2 75 dollars

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Boris-VTR, Jul 1, 2013.

1. Boris-VTR macrumors regular

Does anybody know if Coda 2 will have permanent lowered price to 75 dolars, or is it only temporary?

2. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

Only temporary. But they will lower it again sometime in the future. Have seen discounted prices on several occasions. Even at full price it is still a great deal for this piece of software.

3. Boris-VTR thread starter macrumors regular

What would be your recommendation...get it from their site directly or from AppStore?

4. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

I personally always buy it from the companies site if that is an option. Apple takes an awful cut of their profit, so that is my reasoning. But either their site or the App Store makes no difference. You are still getting the full app. Panics site has some nice plugins you can add to the program as well even if you go through App Store.

5. Boris-VTR thread starter macrumors regular

And in App store, its more expensive that from companies site (64 euro in appstore vs 57 euro in developers site).
    But as i see it, there are some minor diferences...appstore versions gets you icloud funcionality but will give you some problems because of sanboxing.

6. mw360 macrumors 65816

mw360

I doesn't give you problems, it just means you have to authorise the app the first time you access a folder.

Regarding the OP, its been at the upgrade-price-for-all since release, which was many months ago.

7. Boris-VTR thread starter macrumors regular

So you belive they wont make jump to higher price (like 100 ) any time soon?

8. mw360 macrumors 65816

mw360

Coda 2 has been available for over a year. I would be surprised if the price went up in the next few days. That would be very bad luck for you.

Also I suspect Panic feel they can't ever reinstate the $100 purchase price because the $75 upgrade price via their website would undercut the MAS purchase price. I'm really not sure how the MAS rules work with regard to that but I'm convinced Apple are pushing developers towards a upgrade-price-for-everyone model.

9. philosopherdog macrumors 6502a

philosopherdog

The idea is that Apple doesn't really permit upgrades and upgrade pricing. This forces developers to come out with completely new versions and charge full price. So, this also means that current users of the software will grumble if they have to pay new pricing for effectively an upgrade. One way around this is to offer the new license at a discount at least initially. So the price could go up. The other thing I would say is that I would always purchase an app direct if you can. The developer gets more typically, but also many apps are crippled on the App Store to meet Apple's sandboxing requirements. Finally, Coda 2 doesn't get the rave reviews the earlier version got. I've always found Coda inadequate as a php IDE personally. I think php storm is a much more serious editor if you can get past the hideous non-native interface. For front end stuff Coda is among the nicer solutions.

10. Boris-VTR thread starter macrumors regular

I am not familiar with term sandboxing in tehnical term. In application environment, what does sandboxing means?

----------

Also i got replay from Panic about pricing. They said that price will stay lowered for indefinite until publicly stated otherwise.

11. Unggoy Murderer macrumors 6502

Sandboxing in low terms just means that the application is kept "in a sandbox". It's able to access required resources through appropriate means. However, if the sandboxed app was to say, run or download additional software, the operating system would stop it.

Sandboxing is definitely one of the best ways of keeping software secure, but it does have limitations in Apples case.

This article might be a bit technical, but it might clear up some stuff for you :)

Wikipedia

12. Boris-VTR thread starter macrumors regular

13. TonyK macrumors 6502a

TonyK

And we should not forget that updates will hit the developer websites faster than through the App store. :)

14. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

Good point TonyK. Too bad they do not have the price at the initial offering of Coda 2, which I believe was only $49.

15. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Given what I see here
    [​IMG]

Its only temporary