Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WhoisMedina

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 10, 2012
Rhode Island
I'm trying to decide if I should go with Coda 2 or BBEdit 10.

I'm in my second quarter of software engineering. I been using Text Wrangler but I'd like something better to use.

Also, Coda 2 is $50 just for today which is the same price as BBEdit.

Any help is appreciated, thank you.

dhgroulx

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2012
Honestly, learn vi or emacs first. Coda is not so much for general software development as it is an IDE for web site development. BBEdit is also heavily weighted towards web development. As a professional software engineer you will have to be cross platform, and that means knowing a cross platform editor is crucial. You don't need to become a vi or emacs guru, but you should be comfortable in one of them. If down the line you feel like moving to a native OS X editor for most of your work, then you can still do so, but you'll be shocked how frequently you will fall back on vi or emacs.

WhoisMedina

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 10, 2012
Rhode Island
Honestly, learn vi or emacs first. Coda is not so much for general software development as it is an IDE for web site development. BBEdit is also heavily weighted towards web development. As a professional software engineer you will have to be cross platform, and that means knowing a cross platform editor is crucial. You don't need to become a vi or emacs guru, but you should be comfortable in one of them. If down the line you feel like moving to a native OS X editor for most of your work, then you can still do so, but you'll be shocked how frequently you will fall back on vi or emacs.

Thanks for your help! I'll check those out when I get home. I appreciate it.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
There is really no need to learn vi or emacs, why go and use a terminal program when there are a number of great editors available for OSX.

Coda is weighted towards web development, but bbedit is a more generalized editor. Its basically the big brother to text wrangler.

I'd recommend downloading bbedit, since they for a free trial and see if its features are something you can take advantage of.

jamesr19

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2009
I recommend you Eclipse (Open Source cross platform IDE)

http://www.eclipse.org
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eclipse_(software)

primary for Java developers, but with support for many more languages.

Unless you want an IDE specifically please don't use Eclipse. It's such a horrible piece of software to use on a regular basis. Very slow on Mac and often unresponsive. I only use it when I have to

Sublime text 2 is suppose to be good (and it's cross platform). I use TextMate which is good, but am considering a switch to Sublime

Yamcha

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2008
I'm trying to decide if I should go with Coda 2 or BBEdit 10.

I'm in my second quarter of software engineering. I been using Text Wrangler but I'd like something better to use.

Also, Coda 2 is $50 just for today which is the same price as BBEdit.

Any help is appreciated, thank you.

You can try Coda 2 free for 7 days from the official website.. Personally I've been using Coda for quite some time, and in my opinion is the best text editor out there.. Saves you tons of typing and time..

I've tired pretty much all text editors for Mac, and my first choice would be Coda and then maybe Dreamweaver..

dhgroulx

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2012
There is really no need to learn vi or emacs, why go and use a terminal program when there are a number of great editors available for OSX.

Because I am sick and tired of dealing with so-called professional software engineers who can't find their way around a command line or remote UNIX server to save their lives.

Second, Coda 2 as a text editor is pathetic. It is features like FTP integration, web preview, nice CSS editing that make it amazing as a web page IDE, but for raw text editing power in the abstract, it's a joke. My first years of software engineering undergrad I was more likely to be thrown an oddball language like Scheme or Prolog than sit down and write a web site.

Likewise, Eclipse is a giant bloated mess. Its ability to interact with the JVM for code introspection makes it almost a requirement for Java development, but it's a disaster for any other task.

Choose the right tool for the right job, and since the original poster's only description was "second quarter of software engineering" the best suggestion we can give is the best generic tools, and those are still vi and emacs.

rcrooks

macrumors newbie
May 26, 2012
Maybe neither -- look at Sublime Text 2 and Chocolat

Though there's a lot to like about Coda 2 and BBEdit (I have both), they are geared toward web development. If you are looking for a more general code editor, I'd recommend taking a look at Chocolat and Sublime Text 2 -- for any kind of real programming, I think they're far better.
my .02,
Robert

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.