Coda or CSS Edit

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by ezekielrage_99, Apr 6, 2008.

1. ezekielrage_99 macrumors 68040

ezekielrage_99

I'm getting back into CSS and was just wondering which most pros prefer, CSS Edit and Coda are both excellent applications but I was wondering which to buy :confused:

I was going to use them either one with Rapidweaver and was just interested in some feedback and which application is better value.

2. TodVader macrumors 6502a

TodVader

I bought Coda. It's the perfect app for everything web design. With CSSedit, you don't need to learn CSS though. With Coda, you have auto complete but you still need to know CSS.

I have both but rarely if ever do I use CSSedit.

3. MacDonaldsd macrumors 65816

MacDonaldsd

Personal I think CSSEdit is a lot better for CSS than Coda but that's all it does. Coda does have good CSS support, plus all the extras including a FTP client.

4. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

CSSEdit, TextMate, and Transmit is my killer combo. I looked at Coda but just couldn't adjust my workflow into it. TextMate and CSSEdit allow me to work very fast. CSSEdit is quite good at what it does, and makes it easy to find which styles are being applied to a particular element just by clicking on it. When you're working on a massive site with over a million lines of code and a three dozen different CSS files, that's very very valuable. I watch Windows developers try to find the same thing by changing a CSS file, saving, then reloading the page to see if it worked...then again, and again, and again...and I laugh :D

5. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

6. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

I also write CSS manually. Using the generators these tools have is too slow. But writing it by hand doesn't help you quickly find exactly which styles are being applied to a particular element, in which order, from which CSS files, etc, when you're trying to troubleshoot something. Plus CSSEdit updates as you type, so there's never any reloading. As I said, when working on large sites, it saves a lot of time.

7. zaney macrumors regular

Coda is a fantastic integrated package, but as you're already using rapidweaver and just want something on the side, I'd recommend just coding it by hand in Smultron or TextWrangler (I use TextWrangler).
    I find coding CSS by hand is easier and just as quick, if not quicker, than using automated tools.

8. Fuchal macrumors 68020

I absolutely love Coda. I don't use any of the CSS automation features but it works great just for typing the CSS out.

9. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

Just to be contrary, I own both. I bought Coda outright and then wound up with a copy of CSSEdit in some bundle deal a while back.

I love Coda for the built-in file management/ftp and html editor, but to tell the truth I don't use it for CSS so much, tending to cobble that together in something like TextMate instead at the outset. I'll only fiddle with CSS in Coda once I've gotten the basic structure together - I know it's a bit perverse, but I just find it quicker to do the job by hand.

On the other hand, I've tried and failed to like CSSEdit - it's very powerful, but a little too clever for its own good. I find that it ends up getting in the way... YMMV, of course.

10. MegaMan1311 macrumors regular

IMO, get Coda if you want a program to code everything (html, css, javascript, ect.) and get a good FTP program. Get CSS Edit if you want to do strictly CSS with a little html.

I'm a Coda user myself. I tried CSS Edit, but I wanted an all-in-one tool which CSS Edit isn't.

11. Me1000 macrumors 68000

Me1000

I use both,

for a touch up on a css file ill use coda, simply because I will already have it open.

But if I am actually making a whole stylesheet I have CSS Edit open too.

Both are wonderful applications. If you dont want to buy both, I say go with Coda because it has an awesome CSS editor and a whole lot more.

12. macsrules macrumors regular

This is my current setup.

1. CSS Edit with both free applications Aptana http://www.aptana.com/ and also with Open Komodo http://www.openkomodo.com/

The only drawback I have found so far, is when editing pages remotely, I can't preview them in these programs with the styles sheets from the external sites. I am sure it is me not setting up the remote files right. I work around this by having the browser open in an external space and just hit reload.

2. Coda - With this one I was able to get the external site to load right in the program so that I could hit the preview button and it would load the external style sheet for viewing right in the program.

Like someone else said, the CSS editing in this program is not quite as user friendly unless you know CSS like the back of your hand and don't need really user friendly cues. Still a good program though.

Just my thoughts,

13. Stormz macrumors member

Stormz

I've been writing my HTML and CSS manually in BBEdit for years now, and think I'd prefer an all-in-one. Having said that, I've heard so much good stuff about CSSEdit and Textmate I think I'll have to take those two out for a spin sometime.

14. Saliwa macrumors member

Firefox with Firebug extension > *

I have had some bugs with CSSEdit that annoyed a lot.

15. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

I am very happy with Coda--I have 6 or so web sites loaded into it and it is very easy to move from one site to the next. There are many functions that make it easy to update my sites--and the help function is just that--very helpful. The included terminal emulator is also a nice feature I use to manage my server. A extremely versatile product if you don't mind doing your own editing,

16. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

CSS Edit is awesome. I guess it depends if you want an all in one approach or if you want to pick your own tools. I use CSS Edit with Smultron and Dreamweaver.

17. Saliwa macrumors member

When the font-type is defined in the body, I was not able to preview the changes live, I had to reload CSSEdit browser, whereas with firebug, it worked. Do you have the same problem?

18. ezekielrage_99 thread starter macrumors 68040

ezekielrage_99

Hi people,

Thank you for the feeback, at the moment I think I've got a pretty good idea which way I'm going, I'm thinking Coda.

Also the links and other applications people have directed me to are also very good I think I could have some use for them in the future.

Cheers:D

19. illustratorDavi macrumors 6502

CSSEdit, Smultron and Transmit for me. I have Dreamweaver but don't feel the need to use it at the moment.

I've tried Coda but there's something not quite right with it for me.

20. swbratcher macrumors newbie

Results?

Which one did you select after final review? Were you happy with your decision or did you keep exploring?

21. ombrenelcielo macrumors regular

ombrenelcielo

I am using at the moment Vim, Espresso and transmit, but I should also give it a try to CSSedit, since you guys are giving such a good feedback to it..

22. -pete- macrumors member

Personally I tend to basic prototyping in Coda, if I need to make small adjustments I'll do that in firebug then copy and paste the changes back into Coda, seems to be best method I've tried.

23. Karel.maenhout macrumors newbie

I know the developer of cssedit. At the moment he is integrating all cssedit functionality in espresso2. It shouldn't take to long before espresso2 is released...

24. ombrenelcielo macrumors regular

ombrenelcielo

That's a good news for me at least!