Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hattig

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2003
London, UK
It's hardly surprising that Apple are licensing standard components for use in their SoCs - a DisplayPort hardware macro is a logical component to buy in.

edit: https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/17665927/ GlassMan said it first.

Also the presence of such a hardware macro doesn't mean that Apple are forced to use Samsung to fab the chip - the macro may be supplied in versions for different fabs.

Remember that this chip and variants of it will be used for Apple TVs and devices that will have more than a Lightning connector for interacting with the rest of the world, so the presence of DisplayPort hardware is not a surprise. Hopefully it will be exposed over Lightning rather than the rubbish compressed video stream over USB that it currently does - a very poor comparison to MHL over the micro-USB connector on competitor devices.

Last edited:

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
I want my new iPhone 5s now!

So is there any chance Apple could change it's usual practice and release an all new (bigger screen) iPhone later this year?

There is always a possibility though I would say extremely unlikely. Iphone 6 might come with a larger screen, I feel confident the 5S will be the same size, with some new feature that it will only support via software constraints ;) claiming that the iphone 5 cannot handle it.... like they did with Srini.

Heck I'm just looking forward to something new being released......

----------

I'm still shocked Samsung would supply Apple with parts. Even though business is business, they lost $1 billion over some frivolous excuse.

Is that still not going?? Thought it was reduced to like 450 million, then 600 million.... and then I got bored and tuned out

30838_Screen-Shot-2012-08-25-at-12.13.44-PM.png

Though this image I think is priceless

apple-samsung-nokia.jpg

Last edited:

Dulcimer

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
"Code in McDonald's menu points to Heinz ketchup in its hamburgers."

I know the two are pretty much rivals, but Samsung is one of the top chip producers in the world. Even if Apple were to come up with some goal of ridding its products of Samsung components, it would take time. Hell, Google is still the default search engine in iOS 6, and we know how buddy-buddy Apple and Google are.

Google pays Apple to be the default search engine. Why would Apple let that go over mobile OS competition?

FirstNTenderbit

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2013
Atlanta
I'm still shocked Samsung would supply Apple with parts. Even though business is business, they lost $1 billion over some frivolous excuse.

What? Who lost a billion dollars? Certainly not Samsung. The judgement in that trial has already been reduced and with Apple recently losing a judgement on pinch-to-zoom both companies may end up leaving the court room with nothing more than a swat on the hand and an admonishment from the judge to 'play nice'.

Woodcrest64

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2006
Yeah, but I think Apple wants it to be as little 'future proof' as possible... Their single goal is to make you buy a new phone as often as possible. So, I would be highly surprised if they offer 2 GB of RAM on this one.

Yeah, I have a bad feeling you will be correct considering Apple's track record. Too bad the ram isn't user upgradeable :D

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Will it include the Benchmark Booster code in iOS?

Is this now going to be your "go to" argument? Because in another thread I illustrated how this was not necc true. Much like how Samsung isn't "spamming" twitter...

koban4max

macrumors 68000
Aug 23, 2011
HA! lot of people once hated samsung during sam vs apple trials...and now what? they hate to admit that samsung is needed.....

BC2009

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2009
Is this now going to be your "go to" argument? Because in another thread I illustrated how this was not necc true. Much like how Samsung isn't "spamming" twitter...

I'll take Anandtech's arguments on benchmark booster over yours. His first two articles were pretty much irrefutable. In fact Samsung's denial was called "dubious" and "bizarre" in media given the evidence.

I hope Apple pays him, otherwise.... wow

We know Samsung is paying forum posters so maybe they are paying the two of you. Maybe the two of you are the same poster?

I assume the worst with Samsung because they stoop that low so often. HTC, Google/Motorola and Sony are all better companies in the Android camp as far as ethics goes because Samsung has none.

Just because Samsung may not have spammed twitter does not mean they are not guilty of so many more deceitful acts (like admitting for paying forum posters to write ad reviews of competing products in Taiwan). We can ignore the convictions for bribing public officials (twice) and tax evasions and the pardons (all three) they got from the South Korea executive branch (gee - I wonder how much of a bribe it took to get those three pardons).

This stuff should not be ignored because both the benchmark faking and the astro-turfing directly undermines the purpose of tech websites and their forums. I hold their feet to the fire because people should know the real Samsung.

otismotive77

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2013
please make it a quad-core chip:(, i'd love to see a quad-core iphone beating all the droids in benchmark results.

blitzer09x87

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2013
begging apple to upgrade the internals, please stop using the dual-core chipsets clocked at 1.2 GHz .

samsung uses a great if not the best processor in it's droids, why not ask them to make you an awesome beasty chipset?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.