Codec Pack???

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Cyroceon, Feb 23, 2008.

1. Cyroceon macrumors 6502a

Cyroceon

I got the DivX codec and Flip4Mac, but there are still a few avi and mpeg files I can't play. What do I need? Is there an all inclusive codec pack out there?

2. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Not really, but Perian and VLC should cover the rest of the list.

3. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

4. bakerster macrumors regular

QFT. That is the ultimate mac setup

5. Cyroceon thread starter macrumors 6502a

Cyroceon

But isn't VLC a player? I don't want the player, I want to use Quicktime to open em all. Is there a way?

6. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Nope. Ultimately you'll find some that you have to play in VLC cause nothing else will work.

7. mosx macrumors 65816

Perian and Flip4Mac will do it all. You don't need the divx codec, just get Perian.

Those two will let Quicktime play nearly everything.

VLC is good for those files that Quicktime refuses to play no matter what codecs you have installed.

8. bakerster macrumors regular

quicktime is pathetic. yes, vlc is not quite as pretty as apples beloved quicktime, but in the end, vlc is awesome. You'll get over the whole "integrated visual" situation after a while.

9. cwedl macrumors 65816

cwedl

Not sure about you, I'm mostly in full screen or if I'm not I watch the video instead of looking at how the player looks. I just count myself lucky I don't have to use Windows Media Player.

10. TheStu macrumors 65816

Right, but Quicktime is tied into all the video playback on the entire OS. So, if you have good plugins for Quicktime (Flip4Mac and Perian) now Front Row can play those files. QuickLook can play them in Leopard, you get scene previews for your AVI icons, and more.

At the end of the day, I will continue to use Quicktime just because I prefer to have 1 unified window with both my video, and the player controls.

11. Cyroceon thread starter macrumors 6502a

Cyroceon

I agree, definitely. This feeling of "mega-integration" is a selling point.

12. heatmiser macrumors 68020

I use VLC for everything. In XP, I used Media Player Classic, which was unbeatable with a codec pack. VLC there (or on OS X) just doesn't compare, but it's the best alternate for now.

13. Twe Foju macrumors 6502

Twe Foju

use Perian, it's easy to install and easy to remove

but it only plays with Quicktime

so it will not be associated with DivX

14. tokiidokii macrumors regular

yea i don't have a problem with QT but i dunno... i use wmp for pc with a codec pack and tbh... nothing beats it. vlc is crap (both on pc and mac) but unfortunately, there's really nothing similar out on mac. i mean i guess you can try mplayer. i for one haven't used mplayer but my friends say it's pretty good.

right now i only have perian installed and will be trying out flip4mac. but i really really can't wait for the coreavc codec. it's the god of all codecs when it comes to hd h.264 decoding. i have it for pc and it's just amazing... but they seem to be taking their sweet time to release it for mac :p

15. TheStu macrumors 65816

I too prefer to just use WMP on Windows with a codec pack, but in what way do you mean that nothing beats it? I do agree that I like many things about it, but if you look at say... VLC on OSX, which is quite a few steps ahead of the Windows version, it is quite nice.

16. skwij macrumors 6502

Yep, Perian, Flip4Mac, VLC, and mPlayer all installed here. Most stuff runs just fine in QT. The stuff that doesn't, VLC handles, flawlessly.

17. tokiidokii macrumors regular

ah i mean for pc, i do use vlc for those rarest of files that doesn't work in wmp. but the thing about vlc for pc, you can't scan properly when you're using the scan bar to move forward or backward (not really sure what the term is) also the sub fonts just look terrible.

i tried changing the look of the subs in vlc but maybe i'm doing something wrong. but yea i did recently try vlc for mac and so far it seems better than its pc counterpart.

also, i'm the type of person who just like to use 1st party software whenever i can and that's why i've just really stuck with wmp11 and wmpc. but again that's just me, and again i do think vlc is probably one of the best options for playing video files on mac (even though i haven't tried mplayer yet). perian and flip4mac eases my 1st party player obsession and when coreavc codec finally comes, i hope i can say goodbye to vlc :p

18. Knolly macrumors 6502a

With Perian 1.1 I'm actually yet to encounter anything that doesn't play well, but VLC is always there just in case.

19. mckyvlle macrumors 6502a

I keep RealPlayer (bleh!) around for Real Media files (eww!).

Still waiting for RealAlternative or something similar for the Mac.