Codec problems in FCE 4.01

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by bmiddleton, Feb 14, 2010.

1. bmiddleton macrumors newbie

Hi there,

I just purchased FCE 4 to edit some footage which was shot on an HD camera in India (PAL), it was captured into FCP on a different system (In Canada but on a PAL deck) and it was viewable in the FCP (I think it was 5 or something like that) but on my newly loaded FCE I get the messsage "Codec could not be opened" in the Canvas window (just white in the viewer) and all I get it audio.

The footage is 1920x1080 25fps.

Is there any way to add on more codecs to FCE or any other suggestions for how I could make this footage usable in FCE?

Any help would be much appreciated.

-Benjamin

p.s. its on a MacBook 2gHz * Mac OS X (10.6.2) *

2. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

Have you tried importing that footage into iMovie and then exporting it again (full quality) - that helped me when my copy of FCP3 refused to work with some footage (NTSC format - I live in the UK, so use PAL mainly).

3. bmiddleton thread starter macrumors newbie

Codec problems with FCE 4.01

Thanks for the response. Unfortunately iMovie won't recognize the files either.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks,
    Benjamin

4. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

Whats the extension of the files that you got out of FCP5, or is it just ".mov"?? This might help deduce the codec you require :)

5. bmiddleton thread starter macrumors newbie

Codec problems with FCE 4.01

Hi -

Thanks for the responses. I got the answer on a different forum. Final Cut Pro captured the footage using a codec which Final Cut Express can never have, so my options are to re-capture in FCE or to go to a machine with Final Cut Studio and do a batch conversion or export into the equivalent codec which FCE does have.

Thanks again.

6. totoum macrumors member

Just to make sure,is the codec in question the apple Prores codec?