codec problems

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Rmpl, Jan 13, 2009.

1. Rmpl macrumors member

Is there a program like gspot for mac os x? I want to check on my codecs and analyze video files. Can anyone help?

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

I don't have it in front of me, but I believe QuickTime will provide information on the open video. It's either command-I or command-J, I always get the shortcuts mixed up. Under Window, anyway. Take a look at the video track.

3. Rmpl thread starter macrumors member

That quicktime thing will definitely come in handy. I downloaded mpeg streamclip but as far as I can tell, it's main purpose is to convert file formats, which isn't really what I need.

How can I see which codecs I already have on my computer?

Thanks for the help guys. :)

4. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

I'm not sure, but if you're codec-obsessed, you should check out Perian if you haven't already done so.

5. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

I understood your query as to requesting an OS X app that could tell you what a file's codecs were. MPEG Streamclip can tell you that. However, if you want to know what codecs are available, that's a different question, and will have different answers depending on what app you're using, and if you are decoding or encoding.

Here's file info on an HD movie I have using MPEG Streamclip's File -> Show Stream Info. Video is 720p in AVC, audio is in AAC (5-channel Dolby Pro Logic II). The question mark audio is the second track, Dolby Digital 5.1.

Attached Files:

6. Rmpl thread starter macrumors member

Ah, I see cave man. I think i'll stick with cmd+I in quicktime since I already have that app though. I don't need to convert anything.

I guess I was hoping for a list somewhere that tells the version numbers of all my video codecs. Sometimes I download a video and it doesn't play right so if I know what codecs I have I can avoid any problems.

For example, I used quicktime to determine that my file uses divx 6.0 but i don't know if i have that version or an older one and I'm not sure how to check. I thought OS X might have a list somewhere.

Thanks for the help guys.

7. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

Have you tried Plex? It's the best video playback app for Macs in terms of codec support and efficiency.

8. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

9. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

Yes. VLC can barely play 1080p m2ts or ts files even on a moderate speed Mac. Plex plays them on a 2 gHz mini with no problems and can handle both True-HD and DTS-HD audio.

10. Rmpl thread starter macrumors member

11. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Yep - I love VLC too, but Plex is the only way to go for HD content. It's a really slick app. :cool:

As well as Perian, don't forget about Flip4Mac for WMV support.

12. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

Then give XBMC a try. Plex is its descendent.