Coding and FTP App Recommendation

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jkundi, Apr 16, 2014.

1. jkundi macrumors member

Hi I'm new to owning a Mac (2 weeks) and at the moment in the process of installing apps that are similar what to what I'd have used on my PC.

For Coding (html etc.) editing I used to to use Notepad++ and loved that it was minimalistic and highlighted tags/code different colour. Now I've read threads on here where everyone recommends Coda, Sublime 2 etc I feel that these apps are aimed at the high end pro level of coding where as I would only be creating small websites. I'm leaning towards Espresso as it seems less cluttered than the others in screenshots I've seen.

Am I walking down the right route, or are there other coding apps that may be well suited for me which are similar to Notepad++ on Windows. What are your views?

Also what FTP apps are popular for mac users?

Thanks.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

For FTP, I use Transmit

For text editors Check out TextWrangler (its free) and BBEdit (its not free)

There's also UltraEdit I use that for Windows and the Mac version is ok

3. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

I second the recommendation for TextWrangler. BBEdit is overkill for my need. For FTP I use YummyFTP. It works the way I expect. I used to use WSFTP on Windows but never bothered loading it on my Windows VM.

4. superscape macrumors 6502a

superscape

I'd certainly go along with the other posters and recommend TextWrangler. BBEdit is its bigger brother, but personally TextWrangler does everything I need for free, so I see no need to pay for more!

For FTP, I've always liked CyberDuck: http://cyberduck.io

Hope that's of some help

Rob

5. jkundi thread starter macrumors member

Hi guys thanks for the recommendations, after checking out YouTube reviews I'm going to decide between Coda2/TextWrangler/BBEdit. As for FTP I have not decided yet but will check out reviews and your recommendations.

Thanks.