Coding MSN Video support into iChat

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Tallest Skil, Jun 21, 2008.

1. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

It's the summer before I go to college and I have little to do when I'm not working. I was wondering about something that has irritated me and many other iChat users for a very long time: MSN A/V support.

Mercury Messenger has it. Several other apps do, too. I was wondering how much Objective-C I would have to learn to be able to take that code from a third-party app and write it into iChat for MSN Jabber A/V support.

Time... is not an issue. I'm going to college for computer science, so I will probably learn everything that I will need to find out how to do in due time... I'd just like to get started on my own. Can someone point me in a direction leading towards understanding the code that I need to understand?

2. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

How much programming experience do you have with other languages? If you haven't had any you may want to try something else as a first project. I'm not even sure it is possible, does iChat have a reference library and / or an SDK available?

Edit : Just had a look on ADC and it might be possible. Depends, have a look at the source code and see if you can work out what is going on. If you can't you need to keep learning until can.

3. Tallest Skil thread starter macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Zero to none. Like I said, I'll most likely learn what I need to know in college, but I'd really like to try to figure out what to do on my own. Give it to me straight; is there really any hope for me to teach myself enough Objective-C to port any working code to iChat?

4. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Seeing as you said time is not a problem. Then I don't see a reason why you can't learn enough to do something useful. That project might be a bit advanced though, working with someone elses code is harder than working with what you have written yourself.

Here is a free book to get you started though.

http://developer.apple.com/document...ectiveC/Introduction/chapter_1_section_1.html

You'll probably want to do some reading about C as well seeing as Objective-C is built on top of it.

5. Tallest Skil thread starter macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Thanks for that. I'll see what, if anything, I can do.

6. rev316 macrumors regular

You'll need to learn about input managers; as well as the MSN protocol to the teeth. That isn't were you start learning objective-c.

There are probably significant hurdles to achieve this. Not trying to discourage you, but rather inform you of the work involved.