COFFEE and how to make it

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by bob2131, Jun 22, 2009.

1. bob2131 macrumors 6502a

hi, (im in uk)

Ive always used Nescafe, but lately tried these bags, like tea bags, but ground coffee inside them. So its like making tea, but its coffee, nice proper coffee.

Now i dont want to go back to nescafe, as its cheap dried man made stuff?
    It dont taste nice either, its just really strong.

But now my work collegue has shown me a pod.... it looks like a tea bag, but its got coffee inside....but we are drinking it without a pod machine......is this ok????

So i need to learn about these methods, ways to make coffee.
    i think i need a coffee machine....but i dont want a machine that i have to wash up and takes ages to wash........as i only drink one cup of coffee in morning.

So....there is ground coffe which is powder form?
    And there a pod method.......

Can someone explain the various machines available to buy and the various ways to make coffee, please.

Thankyou thankyou.

And the various milk substitutes.......i use coffee mate, its like powder cream........
    when i use milk, i find i have to put in alot to make it whiter....which in turn makes it colder and less hot to drink, so you gotta microwave it.......
    So i use coffee mate......anything else im missing?

2. Lone Deranger macrumors 65816

Lone Deranger

All you really need is a nice cafetierre (french press) a quaity burr grinder and a good selection of fresh roasted beans. Best way to make coffee in my opinion. :)

3. bob2131 thread starter macrumors 6502a

but you gotta clean that bad boy each time you use it?
    Does that take powder form coffee or pods/bags?
    burr grinder?
    beans?

4. bob2131 thread starter macrumors 6502a

people need to explain things rather than posting random words i aint got a clue what they mean.

5. Lone Deranger macrumors 65816

Lone Deranger

A quick rinse under the tab is all it takes. You do have to make sure to warm it up a bit before you poor in the water though. Otherwise your brew will loose it's temperature.
    You use loose ground coffee that has a coarser grind than expresso. That's what the grinder is for. A burr grinder has a special type of grinding mechanism that is argued to protect the beans from excessive heat during the grinding process yielding better tasting coffee.

6. bob2131 thread starter macrumors 6502a

mmm
    so how many pieces of equipment do i need?
    how long does it take to make the coffee?

(i bought a smoothie blender and i used it once, cause it takes half a day to make the juice, and another half a day to clean the thing.....no good)

7. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Keurig, FTW!!

8. Hawkeye411 macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

+1 on the French press.

You can grind you own beans or buy them already ground.

1). Boil water
    2). Put coffee in press
    3). Pour water in press and give a little stir
    4). Press coffee with plunger.
    5). Pour coffee.
    6). Rinse out press and give quick wash with a little soap and water and then rerinse
    7). Drink coffee

Now if that's too much work you might want to consider Starbucks instead.
    :D :D

9. bob2131 thread starter macrumors 6502a

thanks.
    So this company is the machine AND the coffee bags?
    but say if i buy the machine......i can only use their own coffee??

10. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

You can tell that this thread has been taken over by demis when a flood of Keurig recommendations start coming in. ;)

Also, I didn't know that coffee came in the form of bags that are similar to tea-bags.

11. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

They had one of those at the hospital my son was in. It was great. I had never seen anything like that before.:eek: No, I don't get out much.

12. Toppa G's macrumors 6502

They make the machine and sell the coffee "K-cups", which one can buy from any number of supermarkets and/or department stores.

You can buy an insert called "My K-cup" which is basically a little basket that allows you to use your own coffee grounds - I've got one, but haven't used it yet.

13. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

There are dozens of web sites that sell the k-cups from dozens of different manufacturers.

I have a french press but I prefer this. No mess and no hassle.

14. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I believe the Keurig was put out by Green Mountain or there is some affiliation there. Though Green Mountain makes a decent cup suitable for prepping the belly for the stronger varieties, there are many other popular coffee makers out there that have k-cups. More are on board with Keurig than Tassimo or similar pod-type makers.

The cups, however, are not recyclable ... as stated by someone I know who apparently is annoyed at me for saying they are. I just think they need to STUF and drink more coffee.

15. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Too much caffeine today? :D

16. JBmac macrumors member

JBmac

I use a Breville Espresso machine, and make a "Cafe Breve" most of the time which is just an espresso shot with more water. About 3 ounces total.
    Easy to prepare:
    Prepare - add coffee/espresso grind to stainless steel pod and attach to espressor maker.
    Brew - press the button and brew for 30 - 60 seconds.
    Clean - Bang pod against metal container to dislodge grounds inside of container, rinse with water.

Attached Files:

17. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I personally am impressed by neither Keurig nor Tassimo. I honestly think buying beans from a skilled roaster, even if they're ground en masse at the store and one uses a Mr. Coffee, produces better results. But they're certainly very convenient!

18. bob2131 thread starter macrumors 6502a

this is still complicated to me.

I dont see the point in grinding my own beans if you can buy them already ground.

So the french press, doesnt really do anything apart from siv out the ground coffee, like a filter?
    "Press"?

Do americans do all this coffee thing diff to UK people?

Im gonna have to check if my supermarket sells Keurig coffee bags. If they dont, then theres no point buying that machine.
    But I DONT LIKE THE SOUND OF THIS....IF A COMPANY MAKES A MACHINE, WHY DO WE HAVE TO USE THEIR OWN BRANDED COFFEE??? SURELY THEIR STRENGHT IS IN EITHER MAKING MACHINES OR PRODUCING THE COFFEE....

So less hassle and mess with Keurig, compared to french press?

Nobody here has heard of the pod method i spoke of ????

19. davidjearly macrumors 68020

davidjearly

So, Keurig or cafetierre?

EDIT: How about a poll on the best way to make coffee at home (economically)?

20. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

You're really trying everyone's patience. The Tassimo and Keurig systems are both variants of the pod approach... and both coffee makers have coffee pods / cups / discs / wetf made by various coffee companies.

21. Surely Guest

Surely

You're not making a Breve- you're making an Americano.

A Cafe Breve is made with espresso and half-and-half.

Will it taste wrong now? ;)

I've been hooked on making my own iced coffee lately. I just brew it a little stronger than regular, put it in the fridge, and a few hours later it's nice and refreshing.

I use a Mr. Coffee and I prefer medium-roasted beans. It really doesn't matter what kind of coffee maker you use if you're brewing regular coffee (espresso is a different story). The most important part is that the water gets spread evenly over the grinds- so make sure that the part where the water falls on the grinds looks like a shower head. All that's left is to use some filtered or spring water instead of tap water.

22. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I had a good friend in grad school who was obsessed with this drink. Isn't it excessively rich?

23. Surely Guest

Surely

So rich.... it's basically a latte made with half-and-half instead of milk. So much fat....... I would consider it a dessert!

/used to work at coffee shops.