Coffee disaster. Next steps.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Schtibbie, Oct 11, 2013.

1. Schtibbie macrumors 6502

Ugh. We have what I *think* is a 2 year old 13" MBP that my wife just spilled a TON of creamer-heavy coffee into. Flickering, flashing, coffee pouring out all the ports, the whole shebang. She is at home taking the screw out to open it and try to dry it but I figure it's probably toast.

If it IS toast, can someone help me with figuring out these next steps? I have a Time Machine backup from a week ago, but there are newer files she wants from the internal hard drive, which is FileVault2 encrypted. So. I think I do this: remove the HD from the laptop assuming it isn't also full of coffee. Buy a new MBP. *Don't* take apart the new computer, but instead buy some kind of enclosure that lets me plug a laptop HD into my USB port (is that right?). Restore to new computer from the Time Machine drive. Then plug in (via USB?) the old internal drive, unlock it somehow, and find the few files she wants to grab.

Ugh...

2. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

If there is no damage to the internal drive and you take it out and put it in a USB enclosure. You will then be able to boot from the USB drive and recover everything the way it was before the coffee incident.