Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jnc

macrumors 68020
Jan 7, 2007
Nunya, Business TX
Locked or not, I think I'd be more worried about having a random clumsy oaf spill something on my machine to just go and leave it unattended.

zendog

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 8, 2008
more puttering around

And------the prize goes to kristenm for the most practical suggestion of the pacsafe bag for protecting a laptop. For the humor prize siron (use duct (duck?) tape narrowly beats asme (slip it in manila envelope). Those of you who read this thread before it was cleaned up know that my original post using the term "puttering around" caused major emotional difficulties for some homophobic posters. I must confess that I toyed with them for fun, but the moderator excised my satire. Nonetheless it was a truly astonishing experience and my professional curiosities were piqued at how an old southern usage could rouse sleeping dogs. (As in, Leah Beth, where's Joe Bob? Aww, he's just puttering around in his shop. Meaning, just messing around.) To demonstrate that the usage is not homoerotic code I quote the NYTimes obituary a few days ago of Indian General Manekshaw: "Like many officers of his generation, he had an affection for British military traditions. A 1971 article in The New York Times noted that upon waking at 5:30 every morning, he liked drinking a small glass of whiskey, listening to the BBC news and puttering in his garden before going to work." Without doubt he was wearing puttees at the time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.