Coffee in MBP help please

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by peter1234, Dec 5, 2009.

1. peter1234 macrumors newbie

I split some coffee over the keyboard of my early 2008 MBP last week. Fortunately everything works fine except the backlit keys where only the middle keys are backlit. Any suggestions as to how to fix it (or get it fixed).

Thanks

Peter (uk)

2. MrBrekke macrumors 6502

MrBrekke

get it fixed at an authorized repair shop. or take it apart and clean it. maybe get some new parts.

3. peter1234 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your reply. Think I could have worked out those options for myself, however.

I was looking for some more specific advice or help however. e.g How easy to take apart and clean? Anyone tried it? Any instructions anywhere? etc etc.

4. MrBrekke macrumors 6502

MrBrekke

try searching this forum or google to get instructions on how to take it apart. :)

5. surflordca macrumors 6502a

surflordca

Try ifixit site http://www.ifixit.com/

6. MrBrekke macrumors 6502

MrBrekke

7. snberk103 macrumors 603

Try iFixit.com. They have on-line manuals for taking apart many Mac models. I know they have ones for iMacs and Minis, perhaps they have one for a MBP. The manuals they do have are all photo illustrated. There are other companies that sell bit and parts of Macs, for DIY repairs. If you don't want to do a DIY repair, an Apple store will charge you the most - though if you have Apple Care people here have reported that on occasion an Apple Store will ignore the warranty voiding coffee bath and do a free repair.... but I don't know that you can count on it.

Good Luck. I dumped coffee into my MBP earlier this year. After 5 days of drying I was luckily enough to avoid any damage. Though I suspect I've voided my Apple Care if there are any moisture sensors inside. Oh well.

8. peter1234 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all your responses guys.

I'm going to try a self repair! I love my MBP and can't believe I was the one that split coffee on it.

Wish me luck!!