Coffee in the keyboard? :)

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by EdbBob, Mar 1, 2009.

1. EdbBob macrumors member

Earlier today, i knocked over a huge cup of coffee, standing on my table, straight down into my keyboard... :( I immediately pulled the usb plug, and was very annoyed. When I turned the keyboard upside down coffee was poring out of it!!!

I considered it lost, but decided to try and save it. I couldn't figure out how to dismantle it, so I put it in the kitchen sink, and flushed it with hot water for about 5 min! :eek: After that I left it upside down on a heater/radiator. After a couple of hours it was still dead, but now, almost 12 hours later, it works perfectly!!! :p

It's not a method for cleaning the keyboard (though my keys are very clean now), and I can't guarantee that it'll work, but if you ever poor something into a keyboard by mistake, it's definitely worth a try :)

2. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

yeah, getting your keyboard wet shouldn't affect it too much. I've seen people run their old keyboards through the dishwasher! Just don't try to clean your keyboard this way if it is attached to a macbook:eek:

3. rylin macrumors 6502

Today's membrane keyboards won't take it too well, but the ol' spring beasties of old definitely benefited from a visit to the dishwasher.

If people really want to run their keyboard through water these days, I'd recommend using very very pure water; i.e. minimal minerals, preferably boiled to get rid of as much oxygen as possible (preventing rust).

4. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006