Coffee Lake 6 Core 2018 Refresh. Speak up 2017 owners

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TheRealAlex, Apr 24, 2018.

1. TheRealAlex macrumors 68000

I am deciding to buy a new laptop my new Chase Freedom Card gives me $300 and Tax returns will pay the rest. Of course I have a Budget and can’t go over $2,500 A new 2018 MacBook Pro would be expensive but I can order one with a 20% .Edu discount.

I want to try and speculate what could be in store for 2019 because I had no idea 6 Core Intel Mobile CPUs we’re on the market namely the Core i7 8750H in short 2.2Ghz base and 3.9Ghz all 6 Cores 4.1Ghz on a Single Core. That is heck of a jump from 4 Cores I’d be fuming mad had I bought a MBP last year or last week as I almost did.

Here are my choices

New 2018 MBP 6 Core Cofffee Lake Version (hopefully with DDR4 RAM) $3,000
    MSI GS65 15” Intel 6 Core 8750H, GTX 1070 8GB GDDR5 144hz IPS Display $2,000
    https://www.msi.com/Laptop/GS65-Stealth-Thin-8RF/Specification
    Or
    Asus Zephyrus M 15” 6 Core Intel 8750H, GSync 120hz Display, GTX 1070 8GB $2,000
    https://www.asus.com/us/Laptops/ROG-Zephyrus-M-GM501/Tech-Specs/

So you bought a MBP in 2016 it’s a Quad Core and you spent $3,000 or less.
    So you bought a MBP in 2017 it’s a Quad Core and it has a Touch Bar and cost $3,000 or less
    So you bought a MBP in 2018 it’s a Hexa Core and it has a Touch Bar and cost $3,000 or less
    So you bought a MBP in 2019 it’s a Octa Core and it has a New Dual Haptic TouchBar ???
    (The purpose of this is to show how furious many people would be with fairly recent Apple purchases)

Is it best to stay with Apple or finally save money and go high performance?

2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

Absolute nonsense why would anyone be furious? You buy a computer depending on what’s available at the time and what you need from a computer.

What is available changes constantly and always has done, despite a move to 6 cores this is still not the sort of performance increase you could get year on year a decade ago.

Apple uses the best mobile chips intel provides and the best graphics within its TDP. It has always done this, you could always get more performance from a windows based machine specced to your requirements, this of course is always accompanied by lower battery life and worse portability and still is. Even the surface books are bigger and heavier with only marginal gpu gains.

In short you can only buy what’s available when you need a new computer, Apple use the best possible components for their design philosophy and they are usually within a month or two of other oems in terms of using new silicon. Why on earth would anyone complain??

If you bought a new computer when you could have waited then you only have yourself to blame . If you need a new computer then you buy what’s available from the manufacturer that has the machine that you need. If they then release something new that you want then you have a choice you can keep going with the computer that was chosen for your use case and works just fine or you can sell it and get the new one.

This all applies to any computer manufacturer not just Apple and early adopters of any pc configuration can tell you about the issues this may involve, the original surface book release was a farce for example.

In short your post is complete rubbish and means nothing, if you don’t like the way tech works then you have two choices accept it and get on with life or don’t buy any tech.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You buy a computer to fit a need, and you cannot worry about what the future brings. If you bought a new laptop a week before the release, then you can return it. I suggest you do your homework and become an informed consumer so you know exactly what will fit your needs, that way when a new model does get released, you'll not be fuming? To put it another way, be content with what you choose. The grass is always greener on the other side.

People will not be furious if apple rolls out a hexa/octo core machine in a couple of years. Apple is always improving its products and if that makes you mad, then I suggest a different product that is updated less frequently.

4. Darmok N Jalad macrumors 65816

Darmok N Jalad

I bought my 2017 iMac a few months ago. I know there will always be something better on the horizon. The iMac I bought was quite a bit better than what I had, and I’m happy with its performance and quiet operation. I also bought mine from the Apple refurb store, which saved me a few hundred bucks. Considering how I use my iMac, a couple extra cores would be nice, but not necessary. Besides, I wouldn’t want to rush out and buy the latest and greatest from anyone anyway—I’ll let someone else discover if they have any dealbreaking issues. Look no further than the complaints people have about the 2017 MBP keyboards.

5. TheRealAlex thread starter macrumors 68000

I really appreciate everyone’s replies they really have helped.
    Basically man up and make a decession, what is available at the time is it.
    I am especially thankful that CoffeLake arrived now.

6. Regime2008 Suspended

Regime2008

7. dryja123 macrumors regular

I needed a computer in March and shelled out $3500 for a 3.1ghz 1tb 15 MBP. I knew a new model would drop in June with potentially 6 cores. I needed it so I bought it. I'll use this one until it can no longer serve the purpose I bought it for. Don't get hung up on the specs or you'll always wait for next year.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Yep, good advice. There will always be a faster/better/sexier computer coming down the pike. Why get caught up in that sort of thought process if you can avoid it. Be content with your decision and use the computer for which it was purchased for :)

9. leman macrumors G3

You are comparing gaming laptops to a prosumer business laptop. The gaming laptops will have faster graphics, the MacBook Pro will have faster storage, WiFi, better screen and better battery life. Its the same tradeoff as every year ;)

10. Mike Boreham, Apr 25, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2018

Mike Boreham macrumors 65816

I would just add that, while there is nothing wrong with buying a new Mac at this stage in the product cycle if you need a new Mac now, I would not pay full price for a current model this close to expected new releases.

There may be suitable models in the refurb store or nearly new from other sellers.

I have just bought a nearly new 2017 13" MBP for £500 less than the current Apple Store new price from a High Street chain. It is as new with three charge cycles on it and I have taken out Applecare from my purchase date.