Coffee Spill & Applecare question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MDTyKe, Apr 14, 2012.

1. MDTyKe macrumors regular

Hey guys,

I brought my 2011 MBP in to the Apple Store a month ago because one of my USB ports was claiming it was 'drawing too much power' and eventually it cut out. All was fine, they checked and agree'd to replace my Logic Board. But they told me it'd take 2 days and I hadn't got the time yet
    So, I waited..
    Then, yesterday I spilled a whole cup of coffee (with cream and sugar) all over it. I brought it into the Apple Store and they offered me the flat rate $750 repair. He told me that my Applecare would still be valid following the repair. I asked them if they would still just replace the Logic Board as they were going to do that anyway, but he refused because of the water damage. He said that other things 'may' be damaged (but I'm pretty sure they weren't). MBP worked fine by the way... but I know after a few days it may not have...

- First, is this true about the Applecare? On reading online I am questioning that now
    - I bought another MBP when I was there, as I needed a laptop straight away. He told me I can return this one within 14 days for a full refund with no extra fees.
    Is all of the above true? I am questioning some of what he told me now.

Thanks,

M

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

AppleCare does not cover damage from accidents, including spills, and if the moisture sensors show contact with moisture, AppleCare is voided. AppleCare Protection Plan Terms & Conditions
    That is true. Returns & Refunds - Apple Store (U.S.)

3. MDTyKe, Apr 14, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2012

MDTyKe thread starter macrumors regular

Also do you think it would be more cost effective to sell the 'old' one instead? It's 2011 (April), i5, 4GB 2.3GHz and has 2 years on the Applecare (assuming this is still valid, as he stated).

M

----------

I did not question whether or not Applecare covered spill damage; I am aware of that.

He told me, however that following my Apple repair ($750) that my Applecare will remain valid for the remainder of its term. Are you telling me my entire policy now has been canceled?

If so, I will be going back to the store..

M

4. GGJstudios, Apr 14, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2012

GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

So you're saying if you pay for Apple to repair any moisture damage, would AppleCare still be in effect for future issues? I would think so, but I'd make sure to get something in writing from them, showing that any damage was completely repaired.

5. Medic278 macrumors 6502a

Medic278

I don't know why he told you your applecare would still be valid. It clearly states that your applecare would be voided if the water sensors were triggered. However maybe they will reinstate it if they repair damage. However I wouldn't pay to have it fixed as your highly unlikely to recoup those costs by selling it, but I would also sell it as is and tell any prospective buyers that there may be damage from a liquid spill.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Actually, it doesn't say anything like that. It says:
    It doesn't say the entire plan is voided; it says the damage is not covered. However, if the user pays to have it repaired by Apple, the plan shouldn't be voided.

7. Medic278 macrumors 6502a

Medic278

8. MDTyKe thread starter macrumors regular

He clearly told me that my Applecare would still be valid.

With the cost of the new one ($1,305) and the repair ($755) the total cost this week was $2,061. If I return the new one, the total cost to me is just $755. But if I keep the new one and sell the old one (say for $900) the cost to me would be $1,160.. so I think it's cheaper to repair, and if I keep my 2 year Applecare (it literally just entered into the 2nd year) then it's definitely worth the repair.

I'll challenge them on the Applecare though and make sure they make lots and lots of notes

9. Medic278 macrumors 6502a

Medic278

I would document who you talked to and what they told you so that you will have a record of it and won't have to try and recall the information from memory. At any rate I hope they help you out, I would argue that it was documented prior to the spill that the logic board needed to be replaced. It may not matter but you got nothing to lose by trying.

10. MDTyKe thread starter macrumors regular

I have the Rep ID from the person, as it's noted on the repair authorization form I signed.

I'm hoping I truly do get it back within 5 days as I have to leave the country for a week.. and I have to give this one back within 14 days :eek: and I don't want to leave with no mac!! :)

And yes, it is in the system about the Logic Board, so that's good. I double checked all of that before I told them of my coffee news. When I get it back, I'll make sure they note my Applecare validity, in writing.