coffee spill didn't do anything BUT

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Azmsc, Mar 7, 2009.

1. Azmsc macrumors newbie

So I had called apple because of the problems I was having. my MBP would just freeze up or randomly shut off (and the optical drive is screwed up)- So they sent me a box to ship it in. Well, before I got the chance to send my computer off, I spilled a small amount of coffee on the keyboard with no damage except the L and R arrow keys are not working- I really don't care about that but I really do need to get the primary problem fixed. The question is, if they find residue, will they void the warranty and not fix the big problem I'm having (without me paying a ton), even though the spill had nothing to do with it?

2. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

Most likely not, but if they can somehow find a way to blame the malfunction of the computer on the spill, they will.

3. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

If they find any evidence of liquid-related damage, yes, your warranty will be voided. Sorry. :(

4. Azmsc thread starter macrumors newbie

I was actually going to try and take it to an apple store tomorrow- how should I approach the whole situation... should I just tell them my story? (I'm sure they'll find residue SOMEWHERE so I feel like hiding it would be pointless)

5. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Dont be silly and take it to an official Apple Store, take it to a 3rd party Apple Reseller and get them to valuate a repair cost, say they can open it to inspect the issue then ask them if they can see the cause. If they say "hey theres coffee in here" you know your warranty is screwed, but you could at least then have a go at cleaning it up. It wont cost you anything and you have nothing to loose. If they say nothing your good to go to an Apple store to get it fixed under your Applecare :) Some resellers will fix things for free under your Applecare if they have permission from Apple, and they will even conveniently forget to tell Apple about your coffee damage, they've always done that for me, and ive had my fair share of liquid disasters over the years.

6. ecks618 macrumors 6502

ecks618

I spilled some juice or something on my MBP a couple months ago and the space button got stuck in. I brought it to the genius bar and they replaced the whole keyboard. Its worth a try no matter what, you got nothing to lose.