Coffee Spill on MacBook A1342

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by 2Double02, Mar 18, 2013.

1. 2Double02, Mar 18, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2013

2Double02 macrumors newbie

Hi

Ive recently purchased a used MacBook Pro A1342 with a non-functional keyboard. It had coffee spilled on it which has caused the keyboard to malfunction (not sure how long the coffee spill has been up to today since the accident). Everything else is working fine, it boots up no problem, screen works etc, even plugging in an external keyboard works fine as well.

So I got a few questions now;

1) Whats the best way to tackle on cleaning the inside of the Macbook? Specifically the logic board? Would disconnecting it completely and soaking it in rubbing alcohol work ok? Or soaking it in distilled water and soap and lightly brushing? Is it even ok to soak a logic board with any sort of liquid?

2) What are signs of corrosion? Would corrosion occur if left uncleaned on the logic board?

3) Is it possible to replace just the keyboard it self? Or is the keyboard and base permanently attached and must buy one unit?

Any help or advice is much appreciated, thank you in advance.

2. lulla01 macrumors 68020

lulla01

I would take it to the apple store just so they can make sure the keyboard is absolutely the only thing wrong with it. Then get a quote and decide if it is worth it to you to go through them.

3. 2Double02 thread starter macrumors newbie

@ lulla01

Thanks for your reply. According to the previous owner, she did take it to the Apple store and they said everything else seems to be working fine, except of course the keyboard.

Do Apple stores charge any money if I was to take it to them and have them look at it? I have never dealt with Apple stores or customer support before, so I wouldn't know. My only concern is that even if everything seems to be working fine for now, what if corrosion grows larger and eventually kill off the logic board or other parts.

4. B... macrumors 68000

B...

They will only charge you if they tinker with the computer at all. Just asking questions and having them look does not cost anything.

5. 2Double02 thread starter macrumors newbie

@ B...

Thanks for the answer.

Hopefully you or other members could answer my original thread questions. Thanks again.

6. B..., Mar 18, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2013

B... macrumors 68000

B...

First,do not soak the logic board with anything.You can wipe it but do not submerge. Coffee is acidic,so it will corrode the logic board. You will be able to tell it corroded when the computer begins to act strangely. It is possible to just replace the keyboard, but you should get a Genius to do it for you.