Coffee Spill

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Durandal02, Aug 22, 2010.

1. Durandal02 macrumors member

So I had a really bad accident where half a cup of coffee spilled over my keyboard. I immediately shut down the computer and poured most of the coffee out, and I left it to dry for about 24 hours (open facing down in a V-shape, with the bottom open about 3 hours). The guy at the Apple store ran a diagnostic and told me everything was fine, but I wanted to get some more opinions on this. This computer is the mid 2010 15" model.

Everything is working fine so far except the keyboard feels a little weird when I press down on the keys, and the backlight isn't showing through most of the keys though there is light underneath the keys across the whole keyboard. Is there anywhere I can go to get the keyboard replaced by an authorized Apple technician, even though it's technically still working?

2. iTzChasE macrumors 6502

iTzChasE

I'm pretty sure they can replace it. You will have to pay for it though.

3. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Yes you can get the keyboard replaced, but will have to pay for it.

Do you have insurance?

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

It involves replacing the entire top case; a $150-200 part IIRC.

5. Durandal02 thread starter macrumors member

Just found out the USB ports aren't working, though FW800 and audio out ports are working. I don't have insurance, would it be done by Apple or someone else?

6. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Whichever is easiest for you. You may live miles from an Apple store, but be close to a certified technician.

7. Durandal02 thread starter macrumors member

Anyone know anything about my USB problem? A mouse was plugged in when the spill happened (I unplugged it immediately). I tried resetting the SMC but both ports still don't work and the diagnostic says everything is working fine. The laser on the mighty mouse turns on when I plug it in but it doesn't work, and when I plug in the ipod it lights up but it doesn't charge up and the computer won't recognize it.

8. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

I'm not understanding how you went to an Apple store and had a diagnostic and everything was fine but now you're having issues? Take it back there and have them do the repair. They will also give you the answers to your issues, the forum can only speculate since we aren't checking the machine out.