Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ERIC273

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 31, 2009
NJ
mail

mail

mail

mail

Computer doesn't power on anymore, did power on on day of spill
Keys randomized ( press a get d ect) Battery Light shows up on side of Macbook Pro 13 inch. Light on Charger illuminates.

What I have:

Screw Drivers to open computer

Macbook pro of same model that I can use for parts ( The logic board on that on is fried (no liquid damage though)

What I do not have:
Any Experience opening computers

Is it possible that the power button is just what broken and an alcohol cleaning to the logic board and a new top case being put in would fix everything?

Chiuy

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2011
NorCal, Bay Area
Chances are that your logic board is probably fried.
It's actually extremely fragile to water.
I would give it to the professional to exam what is wrong and ask for an estimation on the repair.

Otherwise, next time before you drink any liquid, make sure your laptop is protected. Buy like a silicon keyboard protection or something. It stops water from entering through the keyboard at least, then you'll have some chance of saving your laptop next time if you do spill any liquid.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Given the nature of modern day computers. The power button didn't break nor can it be "fixed." Its more likely the logic board is fried.

I do think only giving it one day is too short as there's still a possibility that moisture is on the board.

Plus if your coffee had sugar and milk in it, those ingredients can cause short and long term issues.

Give it a few days then clean up any residue that might on the logic board and try again.

Also search this forum because this issue comes up with alarming regularity and there's posts in those threads that might help you

ThirtyThr33

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2011
Boulder, Colorado
Well you couldn't have spilled anything worse on your macbook, thats for sure. Coffee is pretty acidic which means it conducts electricity fairly well not to mention it will corrode your internal macbook parts pretty bad too.

If you woulda soilled anything else on it like water or milk, you might have had a little more luck but with coffee, youre screwed :(

-tWv-

macrumors 68000
May 11, 2009
Ohio
You're going to either need to send it into a professional or buy a new machine, replacing the power button most likely will not solve your problem.

jimbo1mcm

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2010
Wrap it in rice immediately

Put in oven at 350 degrees for 1 1/2 hours. Serve with applesauce and dessert. Just kidding. It's toast anyway.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
ERIC273 said:
Computer doesn't power on anymore, did power on on day of spill

It doesn't really matter how long you let it sit for. After powering it on right about a spill means you probably killed the machine if the first spill didn't already do it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.