Coffee spilt, some keys don't work

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by daloco, Jun 17, 2011.

1. daloco macrumors newbie

I spilt coffee on my macbook (unibody aluminium, late 2008) and now the numbers from 1-9 don't work, all other keys are fine.
    The spill was 2 weeks ago and I immediately opened it up and dried with hairdryer.

Apple is only willing to replace the logic board ($800) due to the fact that it is a water damage. But my guess is that all keys would work again if just the keyboard was replaced.

What should I do?

1) Try to convince apple to replace only the keyboard (not the logic board), on my own risk: if it doesn't work I still pay for the keyboard repair ($175).

2) Open up the computer myself and try to clean the keyboard, taking away the logic board etc according to this guide:
    http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Repair/Installing-MacBook-Unibody-Model-A1278-Upper-Case/792

3) Try to buy a keyboard and replace it myself according to the same guide as above. Is it possible to buy a macbook keyboard online, couldn't find one?

4) Just live with it! Use the computer without numbers 1-9 or buy a bluetooth keyboard.

Grateful for suggestions!

2. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

You could try replacing the keyboard. If you don't want to do it yourself I'm sure you can find another computer repair shop to fix it. It's not like you have warranty anymore so you don't have to get Apple to fix it. However your logic board probably will have problems so it'd be better to have apple replace it.

3. daloco thread starter macrumors newbie

Customize keyboard settings

I decided to customize my keyboard instead, so now '1' is 'alt+q', etc. This works fine and is for free! Now I can write 123456789 without problem.

I used the free program ukelele to reconfigure my keyboard. It has the option to start from your current keyboard 'New from curent input space' and the tweak it. http://scripts.sil.org/ukelele