Cohabitating dual band extreme & express-g routers

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jgmacrum, Mar 30, 2010.

1. jgmacrum macrumors member

Hi there ...

My current network in my apartment is as follows:
    - cable modem
    - one G airport express hooked to cable modem & a stereo
    - another G airport express connected via WDS, attached to a stereo & printer

Except for the convenience of the 2 stereos for airtunes & the location of the printer, there's no need for the 2 airport express devices to be honest

While I have a bunch of G devices, I'm starting to accumulate some N devices, and for what I'm planning, I'd like to make use of the Extreme's gigabit ethernet ports in the location of my cable modem as well (which also happens to be where my TV is, going to set up some sort of media device). At the same time, I'd like to have the airtunes to both stereos and the printer connectivity without having to move either of the stereos or the printer.

I just wanted to verify that I could do what I was thinking here, the network would be structured as follows:
    - cable modem
    - extreme hooked to cable modem, broadcasting 2 SSIDs
    - express hooked to the stereo, connected via WDS on 2.4ghz SSID
    - express hooked to stereo & printer, connected via WDS on 2.4gz SSID
    - any N device can connect to the 5ghz SSID but still interact (ssh, etc) with the stereos, printer, and machines on the 2.4ghz SSID
    - any device on the 2.4ghz SSID can interact (ssh, etc) with the devices on the 5ghz SSID

Is this possible? And even if so, is there a better way to set things up to get what I want (basically a N wifi and a G wifi that are seamlessly interconnected from the perspective of any device)

2. skorpien macrumors 68020

The Extreme does this automatically. It creates one network with two SSIDs, even if you give them unique names. I have a multiple SSID network created with a 1st gen Time Capsule and a recent Extreme and all devices connected to any SSID can communicate with all other devices (with the exception of those connected to the guest network created by the Extreme, but that's by design).

3. jgmacrum thread starter macrumors member

Awesome, thanks. I forgot about the guest network capability.