coil whining on your ssd ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by macchiato2009, Mar 3, 2012.

1. macchiato2009 macrumors 65816

hi

have you noticed coil whining with your ssd ?

as first i thought it was my MBP, but it really is my SSD, especially when it writes data

i was wondering if it happens to you too and on which ssd ?

2. lamboman macrumors 6502

What SSD do you have? There is little point in asking if it happens to all SSDs as they are all different!

I have a Crucial m4, however. Under heavy write loads, it does whine. For the m4, this is normal.

3. macchiato2009 thread starter macrumors 65816

at the moment i have the Intel 510 (120 Gb)

is coil whine normal for a SSD ?

how can we compare this between them ?

is performance related to the noise it will make ?

4. jon08 macrumors 68000

I have a 512GB M4 and I can definitely hear a whining/scratching sound coming from the SSD bay.

The whine is pretty apparent for example when I perform a search with the app EasyFind, which can quickly find files/folders on your drive. It only lasts for the duration of the search and I'm not sure how to describe it: it's like a high-pitched screech/whine/scratching that only appears for the duration of the search. I can also hear the noise when I run the BlackMagic benchmark for example, but it's less audible.

I can also hear some faint sound coming from somewhere in my MBP during scrolling on some webpages. That sound is different, though: it resembles a bit the actual scrolling sound of a mouse, except it's barely audible.

At first I thought I have a faulty SSD, but I tried another 512GB Crucial M4 and even a 128GB OWC Mercury Extreme Pro 6G SSD and on each of them there was some sort of barely audible occasional screeching noise/whine coming from the hard drive bay even from the very beginning (when I started installing Mountain Lion from a USB stick).

So this is actually normal??

5. T5BRICK macrumors G3

T5BRICK

I've got a 256GB Crucial M4 in my MBP and a 256GB Samsung 830 in my desktop PC and I haven't noticed any noise during use.