Coil wire car charger?

Petronas

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 29, 2010
Sydney, Australia
Can anyone recommend a curly wired car charger for the iPhone 5 if any have been released?

Here is an example of what I'm looking for -
http://store.griffintechnology.com/powerjolt-se

I've actually emailed Griffin and they've told me they don't have a release schedule for their iPhone 5 products as of yet.

Iceage

macrumors 6502
Apr 17, 2010
I read somewhere that only Apple approved suppliers will be able to manufacture/sell accessories with that new charging cable. That being said, look for Just Mobile being one of the first one out the gate with that type of cord. On their website, they have the 4s version. I hope this helps you in your research.

http://www.just-mobile.com/

Comment

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Thanks for the link mate. I couldn't actually find the iPhone 5 charger there.

Any other suggestions guys?
I don't think there are any yet. I read they will need to be licensed/approved by Apple, so I think we will be in for a bit of a wait before we see approved third party cables.

Comment

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I hope you didn't pay $30 for a USB car plug thing!
I think it was $15. That was just the first Amazon hit that came up when I searched. It is available from several Amazon merchants. It is a little more costly than others though because it outputs more power.

Last edited:
Comment

Hooterville

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2012
I can only imagine a curly cord pulling on that small lightning connector :eek:

Comment

Petronas

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 29, 2010
Sydney, Australia
I don't think there are any yet. I read they will need to be licensed/approved by Apple, so I think we will be in for a bit of a wait before we see approved third party cables.
Bummer... I'm specifically after a coiled cord charger which is not detachable from the actual charger head (Like the Griffin one).

Guess I'll be waiting for a while.

Comment

Rajani Isa

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2010
Rogue Valley, Oregon
Also keep an eye out for the carriers' shops.

While it looks like (by their website) AT&T doesn't have one currently, their 30-pin car charger (with light up logo!:eek: Wowies! :rolleyes:) is a curly cord. With a USB port, too.

Comment

Big Stevie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2012
UK
I just use my current coiled car charger that I used with my Samsung Galaxy S2 by putting a mini usb/lightning adapter on the end that I bought from the Apple store.

Comment

Hooterville

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2012
I can only imagine a curly wire cord pulling away on that tiny lighting connector. :eek:

Comment