Coin Card?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by npolly0212, Nov 3, 2015.

1. npolly0212 macrumors 65816

Has anybody owned one of these or used one in the past?
    I see it can replace all of our credit/debit cards all in one, and kind of tired of carrying around all the cards I have in my wallet, so figured I would see if anyone has some first hand experience.

Does it always work? Is it worth it to waste my money on and whatnot?

2. aristobrat, Nov 3, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2015

aristobrat macrumors G4

I was curious about this, in the sense that the original Coin seems to basically act as a duplicate of the original card.

That method won't work for the new cards that are being issued with the EMV chip in them, at least in stores that require the EMV card to be inserted.

Looking at Coin's website, it looks like they have a Version 2 product that will work with EMV cards, but they're using NFC (the same thing Apple and Google are using for Apple Pay and Google Pay).

Based on how few big retailers are taking NFC transactions at the moment, that sounds like it'd be a problem (as you'd still need to carry around the plastic version of your cards for those places).

https://support.onlycoin.com/hc/en-us/articles/207353248-When-will-Coin-adopt-EMV-

3. npolly0212 thread starter macrumors 65816

Can it not also be used to swipe the card? in the videos its showing that it can be swiped like a normal debit card also..

4. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Some places have a separate card slot you have to insert the new cards in. On those machines you can't just swipe the card as it won't go through. That happened to me the other day anyway.

5. npolly0212 thread starter macrumors 65816

I know this. I mean it has that built in but can also just be slid like the other cards so will it not work everywhere?

6. aristobrat, Nov 3, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2015

aristobrat macrumors G4

It will not work everywhere. It will only work on terminals that are not setup to take EMV.

That's not Coin's fault. The whole point of EMV cards is to reduce fraud by requiring the extra data on the chip (which is hard to duplicate). You need more than just the account number now. That chip data isn't made to be duplicated by Coin, or anybody else.

Right now if you try to swipe a real EMV card at Home Depot/Target/etc, the transaction is not going to go through. Your issuer knows (based on your account number) that the account number goes to an EMV-capable card. They also know if the terminal you're swiping on is capable of EMV transactions or not. So a swipe gets declined and the terminal will tell you to insert the card. Swiping Coin should give you the same results.