Coincidence or not?

tl01

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 20, 2010
My mom has a 3GS. She has been on the phone a few times recently... Talking about a calendar date and when she went to open the calendar it was on that date and time. She has showed this to me two times but she said it has happened more times. Is this coincidence? Is the phone "listening"?

Frenchjay

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2010
It is possible to hack into a cell phone and listen in even when the phone is switched off!! I kid you not.

ARH1956

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2007
NE Alabama
My mom has a 3GS. She has been on the phone a few times recently... Talking about a calendar date and when she went to open the calendar it was on that date and time. She has showed this to me two times but she said it has happened more times. Is this coincidence? Is the phone "listening"?
I once forgot about a plan I'd made with someone & my iPhone went on the date for me.

tl01

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 20, 2010
Seriously... You all are ridiculous. Goodness forbid you answered reasonably. I was just honestly wondering.. There is such a thing as voice recognition.

This could be a great forum if we could all be respectful.

Airmark1

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

tl01 said:
Seriously... You all are ridiculous. Goodness forbid you answered reasonably. I was just honestly wondering.. There is such a thing as voice recognition.

Agreed. People are way too fast on the punishment faze.

I don't think there is anyway the iPhone had any idea what anyone was saying at anytime, unless a specific app was being used.

tl01

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 20, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

Agreed. People are way too fast on the punishment faze.

I don't think there is anyway the iPhone had any idea what anyone was saying at anytime, unless a specific app was being used.
Thanks! I figured it was coincidence but just thought maybe it was a possibility.

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2010
Houston, TX

OMG...are you serious? you know d*mn well the iPhone does not listen to you and your mother's conversations....SMH

maturola

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Thanks! I figured it was coincidence but just thought maybe it was a possibility.
Voice control on the iphone needs to be activated by the user (holding the home bottom), even them only a limited set of voice commands are recognized.

It could also be possible with a custom app (like Dragon dictation ), but no while the phone is on a call.

goobot

macrumors 603
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY
sounds like your mom was screwing with you. i mean how hard is it to click on a date hit the home button call you over say the date click the app and done.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.