Coke spill on Santa Rosa MBP keyboard!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Inspiratron, Nov 1, 2008.

1. Inspiratron macrumors newbie

Hello all,

I was at my desk with a nice can of Coca-Cola, and accidentally knocked the coke over onto the right side of my SR 15" MacBook Pro... it hit has made F10-12 sticky, as well as "-", "=", "[", "]", my "return" key, and my right shift key... any ideas on how to clean it out? i did the obvious unplug-remove battery-turn upside down procedure, but the keys do stick. Any ideas? I've already tried removing and washing off the key covers...

Thanks
    :apple:

2. rychencop macrumors 65816

rychencop

soda is the worst. you will need to disassemble it to really clean it and it may still stick. you may want to consider a new keyboard.

3. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

4. Inspiratron thread starter macrumors newbie

ok, any ideas on how to disassemble? i've taken the top off of the computer before, the keyboard looked incredibly hard to take off

and, i don't think a new keyboard/upper assembly is an option for me, i'm in high school and don't have a job

5. blurfonz macrumors regular

Sorry to hear that. Gotta learn this painful lesson. NO DRINKS new mac!

6. theappledream macrumors newbie

Same thing happened to me

The first day I got my macbook pro.:mad:. After a while the sticky keys will go away. Go take it to the apple store and see what they can do.

7. Inspiratron thread starter macrumors newbie

i wish.

i'm in canada

no apple stores within 200km, and as stated before, i'm a high schooler, no car :(

8. LedCop macrumors regular

LedCop

Hmm... would rinsing just the top case with water make things worse...

9. macrem macrumors 65816

macrem

One time I spilled a glass of white wine at the opposite side of the coffee table from my old TiBook (this was quite some time ago). The wine glass falling catapulted some wine across the coffee table right onto the keyboard! I immediately shut it down, removed the keyboard (some wine was under the keyboard too) and dried everything out well before reassembly, then it worked perfectly. Perhaps Apple laptops, being from California, like wine :D

10. cmatt macrumors member

my vice is coffee... the inspiron i am using has had 2 keyboards in 1 year :p

not to mention a new screen.... :( still, easy to fix unlike the mac book airs...

it was cheap so i don't really care for it mind you :eek:

11. Inspiratron thread starter macrumors newbie

hmmm... i fixed the problem (somewhat) by removing the affected keys again, plus the white plastic "pads" that they sit on (these are the pieces of plastic that the keys themselves lock into)

a bit of coke did spill into the hinge (where, most of you know, there is access to the inside thru the vents), but i don't think any coke got on the board itself, so i'll leave that alone...

12. xlii macrumors 68000

xlii

Put rubbing alcohol in a spray bottle. Of course the battery has been removed. Disassemble as much as you can and carefully spray the affected area. Then take a hair dryer and on low heat dry the area. You don't want to soak it.

13. coledog macrumors 6502a

coledog

Here's a linky to ifixit's guide to disassembling the top case.

Use rubbing alcohol as stated in the previous posts...works great. I had to do that on previous computer also.