coke spilt on macbook; what to replace

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Mikebuzzsaw, May 26, 2010.

1. Mikebuzzsaw macrumors 6502

My friend gave me her macbook for free which doesn't boot because she spilled coke on it.

How can I test or find out if its salvageable? Or if i just replace the logic board, would it work again? I'm just worried the power supply or something else is fried.

2. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

"Just" replacing the logic board will fix pretty much any Apple portable that doesn't boot. You could take out the hard drive and put it in some sort of enclosure to test if that works, but if it doesn't boot at all it's probably a logic board problem.

4. Pixellated macrumors 65816

Take it apart using an iFixit guide and give any visibly damaged parts, or those with residue on them a bath in distilled water (available in most petrol stations), in the hope that they may be cleaned. Then, put all of the parts in a large bag of uncooked rice for 1 week, reassembling the Mac afterwards.

5. idonotliketostu macrumors 6502

mm ur friend so nice, a broken macbook is worth a couple hundred dollars

6. Mikebuzzsaw thread starter macrumors 6502

She doesn't know that... she was gonna throw it away, and I was like hey, I'll take it. haha

7. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

U r a good friend.

8. idonotliketostu macrumors 6502

I would do that to a stranger no problemo.

9. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

Before you go criticizing the OP's behavior, realize that most people probably couldn't be bothered to disassemble a laptop, clean and test everything, and reassemble it. I don't see anything wrong with what he's done.

10. dsprimal macrumors 6502a

dsprimal

salvage w.e u can and sell it off ebay! and then tell ur girl thanks for the free money!

11. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

If the op can do that for himself, he could do it for a "friend". That's what friends do. They would help their friend fix their computer and not take it for themselves and then gloat about it on the net. I amazed at the ethics on this board. On another thread, people are giving someone advice on how to fix an iphone they found instead of telling that op to return it. But then they went nuts when someone (probably) made a harmless practical joke about finding an ipad someone else on this site lost. Crazy.

12. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

There is a HUGE difference between keeping something you found and repairing a laptop that you've been given because your friend couldn't be bothered with it. He doesn't have to live up to YOUR standards in order to be on the high moral ground.

13. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Re-read what he posted. He's thrilled that he took something she thought was junk but he knew he could fix. Does that sound like a good friend to you? My high standards? If laughing over putting one over on "your friend" isn't living up to normal standards, then what is? You really think what he did was right? Then you have NO standards for friendship.

14. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

P.S. You are right. There is a HUGE difference between finders keepers and screwing a friend. You just don't realize which is worse.

15. shadygrove macrumors regular

Lol... taking a computer that doesn't work from someone who is in the process of throwing it away is NOT screwing them. I have acquired dozens of machines over the years from people I know. They were all glad to get rid of something that didn't work...

"One man gathers what another man spills..."

16. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

One last time: IF A FRIEND TELLS YOU THEY ARE THROWING AWAY SOMETHING THAT THEY THINK IS GARBAGE BUT YOU KNOW YOU CAN FIX IT OR MAKE MONEY ON IT, AND YOU TAKE IT FROM THEM AND THEN LAUGH ABOUT IT, YOU ARE NOT A GOOD FRIEND! PERIOD!

And that's disgusting.

17. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

All right, we get it. Some of us just happen to disagree. Typing in all caps will not force us to see the "error" of our ways. It just makes you look less credible, is all.

The friend made the decision to trash their laptop. It's not the OP's responsibility or obligation to guide this person through every decision they make in life. He's a friend, not a life coach or legal guardian. Presumably if a person owned a mac, they have the knowledge and skills to google whether repairing the mac was worth their while. If they chose not to even go that far, what makes you assume they would go through the actual steps?

This friend also didn't bother to ask: "hey is this fixable?" If this had happened and the OP said "nope, better let me get that off your hands for you," then MAYBE you'd have a leg to stand on.

Lastly, when one offers to take something off your hands for free, there has to be some sort of assumption that they will try to make some use out of it, even if it's selling it for parts or fixing it. No one says "let me take this useless junk off your hands that will be just as useless for me."

In any case, if the OP ends up fixing the macbook, he's going to have to explain why all of a sudden he's using it when his friend sees it. One would assume he's already aware of this, and for all we know the friend may be just fine with it.

18. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Right its not their obligation to guide this person through every decision. But a good friend would point out that they are thowing away hundreds of dollars and not keep it for themselves and laugh about it. How can you not see that? As for the rest, you have no idea if that happened, if it did, I'm sure the op would have said that. Nope, he just wrote HAHA as he pulled one over on his buddy. Nice guy. If you people can't see that that is a d.m. then there is something wrong with you. PERIOD. ooopps...

19. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

The person throwing away the laptop spent hundreds of dollars on the laptop in the first place. They more than anyone else should be in the position to fully realize this.

Honestly, if I were the one throwing away the laptop and you spent this much effort belaboring the point, I'd resent it. Who wants a preachy friend?

Nor do you, so let's not cast moral judgements without having all the facts, shall we?

20. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

We do have facts. He said he took the computer she thought was trash,knowing he could fix adding the words HAHA. What more facts do you need? Seriously, if you guys don't get it by now you never will. I hope you never have friends like this guy. Friends watch out for each other, not profit by their mistakes and laugh about it.

21. Steve Jobs. macrumors regular

well played sir!