Colcasac Sleeves

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Alpha.K, Jul 11, 2011.

1. Alpha.K macrumors member

I know the sleeve/case thing has been done to death but I couldn't find much information about Colcasac's cases so I was hoping a few people would kindly tell me their experiences with the case, their opinions on it and whether they prefer another case. I am specifically intersested in how well it is able to be able to be carried around in a bag as well as how much protection it offers for example, can it protect the laptop from damage resulting for a fall etc. Also, what is the difference between 18.5oz hemp and 20oz hemp.

I've narrowed it down to Colcasac sleeves because of their aesthetic and what appears to be quite a bit of padding. I did find the Waterfield bags appeared nice but were more expensive than the Colcasac and didn't seem to offer as much protection and the Incase nylon sleeve is the same price as the Colcasac ans seems to offer protection but I've heard of cases where the zipper will scratch the laptop.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. palpatine macrumors 68040

i don't know. but, i have been using waterfield stuff for years. very high-quality stuff, especially their sleeves, with plenty of padding. i've had the sleeve for my netbook now for more than 5 years and it is in perfect condition. bags are the same.

but, with the possible exception of the g-form sleeve, a fall will probably not be pretty in any sleeve, especially if it lands an an edge. just in case, i got a hard shell. it has saved me from some nasty scratches, but no falls yet, and i don't plan on testing it!

my advice would be to get any kind of decent sleeve (personally, the g-form looks the best) and always keep the computer in your backpack. that ought to go a long ways toward preserving its curvaceous body. definitely don't sleep in bed with it (as one of the members did)!

3. Alpha.K thread starter macrumors member

Thanks. The sleeve should hopefully be able to withstand a few dings from hitting a wall, table or other things that may be encountered in a school. Now to decide which color to get. :)

4. blackbinary macrumors member

I'm curious about the 20oz hemp vs 18.5oz
    The 20oz is more money, so I'm guessing it must make some difference.

5. blackbinary macrumors member

I looked up the difference. Basically the higher the oz rating of the hemp, the more durable it will be. Oz is a weight measurement, and it makes sense that for a bolt of hemp to have more weight than another, there must be more material (density).

So the difference between 18.5 and 20oz hemp will be that the 20oz is more durable and slightly rougher.

I ordered myself a Uintah, and got a Federale for my sister, which allowed for free 3 day shipping (which normally costs $25)