Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ozzyman500

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 4, 2009
If/when buying cold beverages is it best to put them in the fridge right away? Like don't like them sit out and then put them in the fridge because they might lose their taste? I'm just thinking it might be bad for beer...I don't know or am I just crazy, any input on this?

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
At least in here, beer is often not cold when bought from store (at least the big boys like 24x33cl, I never buy smaller :D). I always put them in fridge ASAP but sometimes I can't fit the whole box in there so some of them have to sit in room temperature. Haven't noticed any difference in taste as long as the temperature is the same, and it's always so good. The temperature affects the taste of the beer by a lot though.

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
Beer should always be kept out of the light, and away from heat, but you don't have to keep it in the fridge.

renewed

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2009
Bemalte Blumen duften nicht.
I would keep beer cold. Around 34-36 degrees is ideal. Many companies here in the states always have their beer cold from production to the truck to the store and then hopefully once it gets home.

I'm glad I'm on this side of the pond because I can't imagine warm beer even room temperature.

Disc Golfer

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2009
Beer should always be kept out of the light, and away from heat, but you don't have to keep it in the fridge.
To add to this, beer that has been in the fridge should not be allowed to become room temperature again or it will skunk. The lower the quality the beer the colder it should be made prior to consumption- the colder beer is, the less you can taste it. Porters and stouts are usually served warmer (although not warm) than the more see through brews in order to bring out their complex flavors. This is also true with ipa.

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
I would keep beer cold. Around 34-36 degrees is ideal. Many companies here in the states always have their beer cold from production to the truck to the store and then hopefully once it gets home.

I'm glad I'm on this side of the pond because I can't imagine warm beer even room temperature.

I can't imagine warm Coors Light (as cold as the rockies?), but a beer that actually has enjoyable flavors is better tasted slightly chilled, rather than cold. Up to, say, 55º, depending on the style.

Disc Golfer said:
To add to this, beer that has been in the fridge should not be allowed to become room temperature again or it will skunk.

From what I understand this is somewhat of a myth. Heat is the real problem, but letting it warm up a bit and sit outside the fridge won't make it magically skunk. Unless it's Corona which tastes perma-skunked to me. ;)

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
I can't imagine warm Coors Light (as cold as the rockies?), but a beer that actually has enjoyable flavors is better tasted slightly chilled, rather than cold. Up to, say, 55º, depending on the style.

That's so true. The colder it is, the less taste and flavors it has. Depends how you like it though, plenty of people don't really like the taste of beer so they prefer ice cold. I like 6-8 C beer, it's still cold but has so much more flavor. Assuming that it's good beer though. Bad beer has to be ice cold or it will come up as fast as it went down.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.