Cold boot wireless keyboard holding "ALT" down?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by xgman, Nov 26, 2011.

1. xgman macrumors 601

xgman

On a 2010 mac pro, if I use a wireless keyboard from a cold boot, and try to hold ALT down to get the boot drive menu, it will only work if I boot in to OSX and restart, or hook up a wired keyboard to the MP to start the process from a cold boot. Is there any way around this double starting for a usb wireless keyboard to get recognized upon a cold boot with ALT held down?

2. initialsBB macrumors 6502a

I made a mockup for what we need...

Attached Files:

3. xgman thread starter macrumors 601

xgman

Obviously ALT, but holding ALT doesn't work on a wireless logitech keyboard from a cold boot. It goes right into oSX. On a "reboot" from there, it does work though. ;)

4. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

Heck, I have a wired Logitech keyboard and I can't get it to use the cold boot keys. I need to plug in a second wired keyboard for that. Quite annoying!

I suspect Logitech keyboards themselves have a short "boot" time.

5. xgman thread starter macrumors 601

xgman

Does the wireless Apple branded keyboard allow ALT cold boots? I guess they are bluetooth. Maybe the logitech usb receiver needs to be seen in an os environment to be made active until shutdown. Getting to be a pain to have to have a spare keyboard always handy. By the way it is a Logitech K750 mac version.

6. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

It's hit & miss, I find hitting power then holding Option I can get to the boot menu.

7. milbournosphere macrumors 6502a

milbournosphere

I, too, find that I can bring up the boot menu using the option button on my apple wireless keyboard. I find it works nine times out of ten. Perhaps it has to do with how quickly the keyboard is able to connect.

8. DeeEss macrumors 6502a

I need to do ALT boots often. I have the newest Apple Bluetooth Keyboard and it doesn't work. It means I need to plug in the wired keyboard. Annoying.

----------

I REALLY want this!!!! Genius!

9. xgman thread starter macrumors 601

xgman

I went to best buy and tried it on one of their imacs and no go. I tried it with a wired keyboard on that same imac and it worked fine. Apple really should support this. I have to now keep a 2nd keyboard plugged in in order to boot into bnootcamp or do maintenance etc. This doesn't make sense that this motherboard can't see the wireless. All PC's can do this. (sorry, I know) :mad::mad::mad: