cold reinstall of Mavrick

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by headviking, Apr 5, 2014.

1. headviking macrumors member

Because to performance issues. I am looking to reinstall a fresh copy of Maverick. The steps I am using are as follows:
    -TM to back up my drive
    -Using DiskMaker to make a bootable USB
    -Wrote down my access script to my NAS drives
    -Wrote down my Administrator pass word
    -Wrote down apple ID infer

My question is will I still have a recovery partition or am I saying it correctly?

By using TM to recover my data. Am I able to pick and choose my programs with data? Ex. Office 2011. Should I clean install Office and then restore my mail, in/out/data or should I just restore Office back on my new formatted drive?

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Just option key boot from that USB installer you made and use Disk Util to erase Macintosh HD. Then quit Disk Util and do the install. That will give you a clean install of Mavs along with a hidden Recovery HD partition.

To have a true clean install like you want, you will want to manually reinstall all your apps and manually reconfigure everything. You don't want to restore or migrate from your Time Machine backup as that defeats the purpose of the clean install.

You can manually move data like Documents or Music in the Finder from your old Time machine backup though.

3. headviking thread starter macrumors member

Thanks. That is what I want. A clean install. Now for Office 2011. I have a lot of emails, contacts, as well as calendar appointments and data that I would like to keep. How do I migrate them after a clean install?

Thanks for the quick reply?

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Outlook 2011 stores its data in this folder in your Documents folder. If you copy that to an external drive then copy it back to the new install you should be in good shape.

~/Documents/Microsoft User Data/Office 2011 Identities/your identity

5. headviking thread starter macrumors member

Thanks ever so much. I think I am ready to reinstall. just going to back a pot of coffee and start.

Thanks again

----------

One more thing. How about Safari bookmarks? I have tons.

6. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

2 ways :

1. In Safari, do : menu bar / File / Export bookmarks.
    Save this file (onto an external drive) then after you have installed Mav, launch Safari and do : File / Import bookmarks

OR :

2. Use Time Machine to restore the ~/Library/Safari/Bookmarks.plist file.

7. snaky69 macrumors 603

Or third way: use iCloud. It'll restore everything automagically.

8. headviking thread starter macrumors member

9. headviking thread starter macrumors member

I am having problems restoring my data/email/contacts from Office 2011. Is it possible to restore my office program with it's setting using TM, after I have install Maverick?

10. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You will need to reinstall Office 2011 from the installer. Some apps you can just drag over to the Applications folder from a backup and they work fine... Office is not one of those. It has other supports files in other folder that need to be there.

After you get Office installed though, all your data should in that identities folder I mentioned earlier. You will need to bring that over from your backup.