Cold Temperatures Turns iPhone Off?!

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by iRun26.2, Oct 27, 2013.

1. iRun26.2 macrumors 68000

To keep track of my pace. I take my iPhone along when I go running. Lately, it has gotten colder (30F to 45F) and it seems like my battery appears to die quickly. Sometimes I've taken it biking (when I don't time myself) and found it turned itself off when I return home (yet I can still turn it on after it warms up).

I've had an iPhone 3, 4, and 5 and I've never noticed this on any of my other phones. Does anyone know if the battery in the iPhone 5 is any different than the previous models (more temperature sensitive)? Is my battery nearing the end of its life prematurely?

2. Markrose macrumors newbie

I'd say the battery is dying prematurely due to the fact of the colder weather; this happens to all electronics with a battery: they will deplete quicker in a cold environment.

3. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

Apple Support

4. iRun26.2 thread starter macrumors 68000

I agree with what has been said but I don't understand why this is happening to my iPhone 5 when I do not remember seeing this with any of my two previous iPhones.

Is the battery any different in the iPhone 5? Maybe the thinness of the iPhone 5 (which I love) allows the phone to more quickly take on the cold outside temperatures. Maybe something is wrong with my iPhone 5's battery?

I'm almost sure I used my iPhone 4 for short periods of time when it was very cold (0F) with no problem (short periods of time since my fingers would need time to warm up).

(Getting NFL score updates while running on cold Sunday afternoons)

5. Mrbobb macrumors 601

If this is normal then they can't sell iPhones in Scandinavia.

Talk to Apple.