Coldplay Is One of the Last Greats Left

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by MICHAELSD, May 19, 2014.

1. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

Coldplay's music is mesmerizingly moving. I spent a good part of yesterday listening to old and new tracks coming to the conclusion that Coldplay possesses the soul, creativity, and musical perfection that many bands lack. It just seems like so much fine-tuning and thought is placed into each bar, and that each song can be split into a hundred layers of intricacy. Really, it seems by comparison few artists if any on the current top 100 are as genuinely "music" as Coldplay is. Even EDM can evoke a great deal of emotion; see Zedd (and a "Sky Full of Stars" on the new Coldplay record). It just doesn't feel like any one artist has as much musical integrity. Most need multiple writers to come up with intricate pieces. A song such as iTunes' current #1 "Problem" lacks the depth and definition of its backing tracks (although Ariana provides fantastic vocals).

It just seems that Coldplay is one of the last greats left that can evoke emotion with meaningful, multi-layered songs that are only exacerbated live. I plan to make an event out of listening to the band's new album "Ghost Stories" in full.

2. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

You couldn't be more wrong. There are so many better acts with significantly more meaningful and emotional songs.

3. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Of course, since this is not a matter of personal taste...someone must be right, and someone must be wrong.

:rolleyes: <-----Please note!

4. deluxeshredder macrumors 6502a

5. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

6. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

This. Coldplay is ****ing terrible.

7. puma1552 macrumors 601

coldplay sucks.

music snobs suck too. "well i listened to them BEFORE they were mainstream, la dee da"…about as bad as neck beard beer snobs who sulk over a ****** IPA in the corner of a bar wondering why they don't get laid.

8. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

I know right? Like Nickleback for example...

9. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

"One of the last greats left"? Of what era or genre?

Let's see who's still playing that could be considered "one of the greats"

Bon Jovi
    Bruce Springsteen
    U2
    The Rolling Stones
    Billy Joel
    PAUL MCCARTNEY

As you can see, MY tastes don't match with those of someone that like Coldplay, though I have nothing against the likes of Foo Fighters or Goo Goo Dolls.

10. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

The Civil Wars may be one of the greatest country acts of all time. They were one of the greats until they broke up less than two years ago.

Daft Punk is one of the greats.

Queens of the Stone Age, Foo Fighters are the greats.

The Mars Volta, Coheed and Cambria are monsters of modern Prog-rock and will be legends in their own right.

Arctic Monkeys are the new British Pop.

The modern folk and Americana are far better off than ten years ago.

Jack White (solo, White Stripes), Dan Auerbach (Black Keys), and Win Butler (Arcade Fire) are among the most successful alternative artists in the world.

Coldplay one of the last greats? More like "not even in the picture"

11. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Armies will be raised. Truth will prevail.

12. palmerc2 macrumors 65816

palmerc2

I wholeheartedly, and completely disagree.....I think they're freakin' awful.

Everyone's different, I gravitate more towards Metal. To me, Metal is the last hoorah in good music. Which the "music" industry is going towards this Top 40 CRAP that's not even music. I think that's what you're referring to. Where there's multiple writers, auto tune, computerized corrections, computerized sounds, and lip syncing live performances. People who enjoy that crap don't even care about the music, it's more of the image they care about.

Metal doesn't have any of that, and is extremely technical and takes years to perfect. People just think it's chaotic noise, when in reality it takes massive skill and perfection. Oh well.

13. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

It must be an age thing. I don't care for them.

14. TechGod macrumors 68040

TechGod

Why can't people accept opinions? Musical taste is highly opinionated.

15. Happybunny macrumors 68000

[​IMG]

I suppose that you find Transformers is one of the "Classic Movies" worthy of winning an "Oscar"

Still it did give me a very good laugh. :D

16. barkmonster, May 20, 2014
    Last edited: May 20, 2014

barkmonster macrumors 68020

barkmonster

It's nothing to do with hipsters or elitism. They're pathetic generic winey post-Britpop garbage.

There's a multitude of bands with more depth and way better musicianship. They're like a bunch of boring old session musicians compared with any number of bands either established for decades or quite recent. It's difficult for me even show any interest in 99% of guitar-based music it's that generic and decade-irrelevant in the first place. Why would I care about pub rock band quality Coldplay, Arctic Monkeys, Oasis etc... When I've got Pink Floyd, Steely Dan, Porcupine Tree, Muse, loads of bands that pound them creatively into the ground?

17. barkmonster, May 20, 2014
    Last edited: May 20, 2014

barkmonster macrumors 68020

barkmonster

It's also pretentious and relies on the kind of clueless presumptious about the ease other means of making music actually is to give it any creative credibility. There's as much awesome rock/metal with geninue musicianship and song writing that isn't the same generic fluff about relationships and the human condition as any pop garbage with a genre irrelevant backing track as there is pop with guitars dressed as something it isn't, leaching creative credibility off other artists simply by association of the standardised, decade-irrelevant combination of instruments used.

To make it clear, besides sampling and bragging over it like Retards Attempting Poetry have been doing for decades, there's nothing more "real" about using guitars, pianos, classical session musicians etc... than using racks of synths or even the software equivalent. Music doesn't make itself. There's no "talent" or "creativity" plug-in. You can hear the typical guitar obsessives view and knowlege of synth-based music perfectly by listening to "Engines of Creation" by Joe Satriani. He's one of the best guitarists in the world, yet give him a few synths to put over it and it's lift music but the "real music" blowhards think he's changed the world!

Nobody likes EDM apart from 12 year old kids and adults with equal depth. It's an embarassment to the entire dance/electronic genre and would have died a death years ago without all the guest vocals from R&B (That NEVER will be Rhythm & Blues) singers etc... It's got nothing to do with the House from Chicago, Garage from New York (not that UK, 2-step stuff) or Techno from Detroit. It's just pathetic generic noises with cheesy build ups and breakdowns designed for maximum appeal to the same idiots with a 3 minutes attention span who make the likes of Justin Beiber millionaires.

18. VI™ macrumors 6502a

I'm not a fan, but I even if I did like them, I wouldn't say they are one of the last great group of artists out there. There's a myriad of modern performers that are amazing if you listen to music outside the top 40. As mentioned above, Coheed and Cambria for one. They have 7 studio albums, IIRC that tell a story across all 7 with side projects for most of the group members. They sell out almost everywhere they go, yet you'll rarely hear them on the radio.

There's also hardcore bands out there that are just so technically excellent that it's ridiculous. People may write them off out of the gate when they hear nothing but heavy guitars and the screaming/growling lyrics, but if you listen to bands like August Burns Red, Askin Alexandria, Etc... you'll hear how technical and intricate the music really is.

There are also hip hop artist out there that put out and amazing record that I could listen to over and over again. Shad, Lupe Fiasco, Donald Glover, Aesop Rock.

I'm not big in to country, but I'm sure there are some modern artist that are good.

It's like any era in music, the greats will be remembered, the one hit wonders will be noted, and those without any talent will be forgotten.

And truthfully, I can't stand Coldplay. Chris Martin's voice is like nails on a chalkboard and the music seems monotonous to me. That's just my opinion though. And in that vein, I don't like Radiohead either.

19. Kissaragi macrumors 68020

Parachutes was great but they just get worse and worse with each album they release.

I guess compared to the rest of the rubbish played on the radio they don't seem too bad.

20. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

coldplay? Last greats? What about Miley Cyrus?

21. Happybunny macrumors 68000

Now Miley Cyrus I can watch (with the sound off) and channeling another thread in PSRI, I do get impure thoughts.:p

22. TalonFlyer macrumors member

I made the mistake of attending on of their concerts.

Coldplay is tone deaf, pure and simple. They can't sing on key.

To call them great is like calling oatmeal gourmet food.

23. barkmonster macrumors 68020

barkmonster

I love the spat between them and Oasis years ago. It was like a sentient dog turd arguing with a sentient cowpat.

24. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Coldplay could fit into a new category, New Age Emo.