Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

One of the surprises of this year's Consumer Electronics Show was a smart toothbrush from Colgate, which, as it turns out, was designed to be an Apple Store exclusive.

The new $100 Colgate Smart Electronic Toothbrush is both Colgate's first smart iPhone-connected brush and the first personal hygiene product you can get right from an Apple Store.

colgate-smart-toothbrush-800x583.jpg

Toothbrushes that connect to your iPhone have become a thing over the course of the last couple of years, and you can now get smart brushes from most of the major brands, including Philips and Oral-B. I'm no stranger to smart toothbrushes -- I've previously reviewed the Oral-B SmartSeries, the Sonicare FlexCare Platinum Connected, and the Sonicare DiamondClean Smart, and for the last couple of weeks, I've been testing the Colgate Smart Electronic Toothbrush.

Colgate's Smart Toothbrush is the simplest smart toothbrush that I've tested so far, but as you'll see in my review below, there are some shortcomings to be aware of if you're considering this brush.

Design and Features

Colgate partnered with Kolibree for the Smart Electronic Toothbrush, and the brush itself appears to be a Kolibree design because it's almost identical to the $129 Kolibree Ara. This Kolibree mirror is the first higher-end toothbrush that Colgate's come out with, so it's different from all other Colgate brushes on the market, which are typically not priced over $10.

Design wise, the brush is made from a lightweight white plastic material, and it consists of two pieces: a removable and replaceable brush head and the vibrating base that the brush head fits on. The brush head pops onto the base of the toothbrush and then twists to lock in place.

colgatebrushfront-800x600.jpg

There's single button on the base of the Colgate Smart that turns it on or turns it off, and that's the extent of the functionality, too. It's on or it's off. There are no modes or sensitivity levels to switch between, so you can't alter brushing length (it goes for two minutes), brushing intensity, or any other parameter.

Click here to read more...

Article Link: Review: Here's a Look at the $99 Colgate Smart Toothbrush You Can Get From the Apple Store

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Of all the things I use, the toothbrush is close to then bottom on the list of things I wish had bluetooth/wifi and a companion app.

Like, I'd rather have a smart towel that tracked how wet/dry it was, provided data of how long it takes to go from wet to dry, and notified me when it was dry or when it had been wet for too long and thus risked mildew. Or, how about a smart bobblehead that detected when i got home and started bobbling on it's own? Or, how about a smart cordless drill? All things higher on the list than toothbrush.

Things lower on the list than toothbrush are: smart napkin holder; smart doorstop; smart tape dispenser.

redneckitengineer

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2017
So now you can have your tooth cleaning privacy invaded by an app that's uploading that data...thrilling. I'll just stick to my $1.99 toothbrush and call it a day.

H3LL5P4WN

macrumors 68040
Jun 19, 2010
Pittsburgh PA
...the review literally tells you what this tooth brush's purpose is.

For those who just came to whine, it's goal is to get you to brush better.

bennibeef

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2013
I dont get the hate for the smartness

This is actually one application where the data is actually useful, it shows what needs to be cleaned more and which parts you forgot.

Last edited:
Reactions: silvetti

mac 2005

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2005
Chicago
With all due respect, I'd love to see these "reviews" written by a professional. I'm sure a board-certified dentist would have some expertise to share on such products -- and would be willing to do so.

While a toothbrush is a consumer item, I don't want to hear from consumers about health-related products the same way I do with other goods. Subjective experience simply doesn't matter here, absent some medical authority to provide credible analysis.

steviec

macrumors member
Apr 25, 2009
Of all the things I use, the toothbrush is close to then bottom on the list of things I wish had bluetooth/wifi and a companion app.

Like, I'd rather have a smart towel that tracked how wet/dry it was, provided data of how long it takes to go from wet to dry, and notified me when it was dry or when it had been wet for too long and thus risked mildew. Or, how about a smart bobblehead that detected when i got home and started bobbling on it's own? Or, how about a smart cordless drill? All things higher on the list than toothbrush.

Things lower on the list than toothbrush are: smart napkin holder; smart doorstop; smart tape dispenser.

Ok, I'm with you but you went too far on the tape dispenser :), I lost many hours this past christmas thinking there was tape left, trying to find the tape beginning, but it was just an illusion....

CosmoCopus

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2012

You’re kidding, right?? ....smart doorstop should be atop everyone’s list

JosephAW

macrumors 603
May 14, 2012
Because an Apple smart watch would make a lousy toothbrush.
Depends on which band you choose.
[doublepost=1517526334][/doublepost]My $12 Walmart battery brush buzzes after 2 minutes to let you know when your done. Works great.

Reactions: gixxerfool

TheColtr

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2014
California
I question why everything has to be “smart” these days.

Actually this toothbrush has been helpful. My fiancé was never really taught to brush her teeth, she just had to learn on her own. Dentist said she wasn’t brushing, but since she brushes twice a day we were both confused. We each got one of these toothbrushes and with the coach feature she realized that she wasn’t brushing is areas where she should be.

Bottom line, especially for learning to brush, or making sure you’re brushing correctly, this is a great tool. I would say kids, and those who may not have had a parent to teach them how to brush correctly would be a great market for this.

arabesc

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2009
There's single button on the base of the Colgate Smart that turns it on or turns it off
I would prefer a momentary button instead of the trigger button and the timer.

Digger148

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2010
I wonder if it's smart enough to detect if I try to use the dual-tube Crest Pro-Health HD (High Definition, FTW) tooth purifying cleaner w/accompanying perfecting gel? Will it be safe to mix a Colgate brush with Crest toothpaste?

Reactions: RedTomato

kildraik

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2006
I’ll keep my non-smart Diamondclean any day. Folks should work on their flossing over their concern on having smart-connected devices. :confused:

Reactions: fatalogic
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.