Collaborating with Final Cut Pro X from separate offices

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by kepardue, Dec 11, 2014.

1. kepardue macrumors 6502

I'll soon be collaborating with someone else in an office some 50 feet away from mine. Currently I'm using a Drobo connected via Thunderbolt cable. For anyone in a similar situation, do you have any solutions in place that a) allows both persons to be connected to the drive sharing the FCPX libraries b) allows a quick swap of cabling to move the drive from one computer to another, or c) do you just sneaker net your drive sharing the video?

I was looking at a thunderbolt cable long enough to reach the other office, and depending on who was actively doing the editing, would have their cable plugged into the Drobo. But I don't think Thunderbolt cables of that length are even on the market yet.

2. rei101 macrumors 6502a

I used FCP 7 and in those cases the solution is having the drive locally and being connected via network just in case.

We have those external thunderbolt swappable drives [​IMG]

Even we are editing in SD. We have those external ports for 2 drives and a thunderbold version, we use 4TB drives. They are cheap and is the best way.

3. ChrisA macrumors G4

FCPX is setup to use iSCSI for this. It will refuse to open files on a NAS. So get some Gigabit Ethernet and a high power file server.

FCPX can have multiple libraries open. Make one called "Working Library" and place that on a local SSD. Use FCP (not finder) to move/copy files between libraries. This way you don't have to do any workarounds and can stay inside FCPX.