collect dust?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by CharlesR, Oct 2, 2010.

1. CharlesR macrumors newbie

My new ipad is on the FedEx truck to be delivered today. I bought an imac a few months ago, my first apple product after 25+ years as a pc user, and needless to say I quickly fell in love with it. Yes, a convert.

Now that I just bought an ipad I'm starting to wonder a little, will this new imac become a dust collector? What can the imac do that the ipad can't? And vice versa? Beside the obvious of course, which is fit in a briefcase.

2. whitebook macrumors regular

Your shiny new iMac wont be collecting dust trust me, iPad is great, i only got mine about 2 weeks ago and i love it but i still need my macbook for downloads, photoshop etc. I know i couldnt live without my macbook!!!!!!

3. prot0type macrumors regular

It can sync/backup/update your ipad.

Apart from that it really depends on what you normally do on your imac in regards to work or everyday computing.

4. unixfool macrumors 6502a

Depends on how you plan on using the iPad. IMO (and this is just me), the iPad isn't a desktop replacement. I spend 50% of my time on each. If all you do is check e-mail and browse, then your iMac may collect dust. If you do things such as game on your iMac or develop software or web pages, your iMac may be better suited for such things.

5. unixfool macrumors 6502a

Good point!

6. bossxii macrumors 68000

You still need a "desktop/laptop" for such things as backups and syncing your media. The amount out of time you spend on each will depend on your computing activities. If you not a computer gamer, or do say, Photoshop etc... You may indeed find your time spent mostly on the iPad. I sold off my iMac as I find the iPad works for most of my personal needs and I have a PC at work anyhow. I purchased a mini, hooked up the the TV and feel I have a setup perfect for my personal needs. Everyone is different but I'm pretty sure you will figure out what you need pretty quick.

My only advice is give it at least 2 or 3 months so the "newness" of the iPad can wear off a bit so you don't sell the iMac and then regret it finding you need a full OS.