Collecting money for a Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by aditghai, Mar 30, 2009.

1. aditghai macrumors regular

aditghai

Hi guys
    I am a Windows user right now who has used a mac in the past. I actually don't have any problems with Windows but I just like the way OS X looks and like some functions of it. In short, I am planning to make "The Switch" in November of this year. The reasons that I am waiting till November

1)Collecting enough money
    2) For school work I use Office and I will hopefully graduate by Spring if not end of Fall. Y
    Yes, I know that office is also available on a mac but I just love Office 2007 and plus I hate how small the fonts are on the mac version of office.

So here it goes people.

206 days left to get the folloing

:apple:Unibody 15.4 Macbook Pro
    500 GB Mybook External Hard Drive
    Apple Care- 3 years
    dot mac(Mobile me)
    Brenthaven Case
    Microsoft Bluecrossover Mouse(I guess that's what its called)

Wish me luck

2. ColinEC macrumors 6502

Good luck saving up - I'm saving up too.

That's a lot to save up for, hope you end up with everything you want.

Going to buy a 2.4GHz MacBook or maybe a 2.66GHz MacBook Pro, but I'm waiting until Snow Leopard comes out & they've updated the MacBook/MBP line again.

3. aditghai thread starter macrumors regular

aditghai

I doubt the design will change. They stuck with the all-aluminum design for a long time.

All that would cost around $2350 and I will sell my beloved Dell XPS m1530 for around $450. So I need around $1900-Yikes!!!

Collected-$200 out of $1900

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

5. JustGretchen macrumors 6502

Could probably save yourself some money by not getting the MyBook and building it yourself...what with 1tb drives for 80 bucks or less now, and get an enclosure for it...You'd def. save a few bucks.

For your mac, don't be afraid of refurb store on apple.com either. All those have the same warranty and are fully eligible for applecare. It can also help you get there faster as far as price is concerned.

Lastly, once you get a Mac, get iWork. You can thank me later.

6. aditghai thread starter macrumors regular

aditghai

I only use MS office because of some addins that I downloaded for school that don't work with the Mac version of office.

Later on, when I start with a full time job and I need to do basic word editing and spreadsheets-is iWork good enough for that or would you still recommend Office for basic tasks?

7. shoppy macrumors 6502a

Best of luck with your saving, it will be worth the wait.

8. bkarabel macrumors member

You don`t have to buy applecare at the same time. You can buy it in a year, plus you can buy it from ebay and you can actually save more. I would strongly recommend the apple refurbished store. And finally good luck :)